Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Cockerel and the law Scotland?  (Read 15725 times)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Cockerel and the law Scotland?
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2016, 12:59:03 pm »
Thanks all

I believe I have done all I can, big Cockerel spent the night in solitary as far away as I could get him safely.

From our room I couldn't hear him at all so hopefully it's enough.

Will keep you informed if anymore follow up...
I would contact the council yourself, let them know all the information - when he viewed it, when he moved in, when he first complained and what you have done to alleviate his concerns - and also let them know how much it is inconveniencing you.  I would also advise your landlord - they prefer to be kept in teh loop and your neighbour might just go to them - pre-empt that.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2016, 05:12:02 pm »
Contact the council?
Cos the council is really going to be interested.....   ::)
Worth a try but will they even make a record of the call? Doubt it.

I would though, make a record of who has said what, when, and what measures you have taken to be the good thoughtful helpful neighbour you are.
Note down your moving in date, the fact that nobody has ever complained during that time (after all, the council can check that can't they), then put down his moving in date. If you have any other neighbour or friend or anyone close by willing to do so, get them each to put a signed dated note in your notebook saying how they don't have any problem with noise from your birds - in fact, quite the opposite!

Then, cos I'm in a really mischievous mood, I'd go out and buy a dozen of those loud annoying wind chimes. Hang them high in the trees on your land and as close to his house as you can get them.

Then set up a no glow trail cam pointing at said windchimes.

If he moans about them    :rant: ,    then say he can't have it both ways, windhchimes or cockerel, which is it?
And if he removes/damages the windchimes then you've got him (with recorded evidence) for trespass and damage to property.
GOTCHA!
heh heh heh (cue evil rubbing of hands).

:bow:   I thank you.

NB: Anything you do do, do it in writing, with 'signed for' delivery if mailing out - and keep a photocopy of it and the proof of posting/receipt.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 05:18:48 pm by OhLaLa »

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2016, 05:22:24 pm »
[member=6258]OhLaLa[/member] but isnt that just provoking things? After all a massive dispute is probably not what theyre looking for. I am really sorry to hear about all this bloomer and I hope things get sorted out soon! Heres wishing you all the best :hug:
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2016, 05:34:56 pm »
Yes it is a bit naughty Mr/Ms WB Farmer but I'm in a mischievous mood...
I also hope Mr/Ms bloomer gets things sorted ok and that the cockerels get to stay.

To all (well, nearly all) - except that grotty neighbour:   :hug:

« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 05:59:30 pm by OhLaLa »

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2016, 05:57:34 pm »
Ok Mr/Ms WB Farmer - now I'm thinking what a meanie I am soooooo how about this:
Mr Bloomer knocks on Mr Moany's door and takes him to the local pub, after a round of drinks each and general chit chat telling him what a good bloke (Bloomer) is and making buddy chat, start talking chicken.

If they can't resolve it then... well.... get the notebook out and make another note in there saying how he even tried to mediate in such a kind neighbourly manner.... in fact, put that note in there anyway.....

:notworthy:  I am not worthy... aww well, actually I am....

:D

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2016, 06:56:12 pm »
Thats actually not a bad idea ohlala. I have a feeling though that this neighbour may not be the sociable zort, still it is worth a try aint it?
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2016, 10:53:06 am »
You could try inviting him to one of your church do's, David :innocent:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2016, 11:16:47 am »
Don't worry annie that's always part of the plan.. 

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2016, 01:31:26 pm »
What, you mean "well, since you're up nice and early this fine Sunday morning, you might as well come to church with me!?"  :roflanim:
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2016, 05:24:01 pm »
So this afternoon I had a nice visit from the environmental health chap.

He was polite and pleasant and quickly acknowledged I knew way more about Cockerel and noise than he did, he said my efforts were beyond reasonable. He did acknowledge I'd probably see him again due to the nature of the neighbour but that's fine, he thought my chooks were very smart, we'll cared for and NOT in a position to cause a nuisance, so long as they are shut in at night...

So that's only a problem if I ever need a night away... But as he pointed out it has to be a persistent continuous nuisance to be served an abatement order so if I'm away by the time they come to visit I'll be back in routine so no action can be taken...

I like the man from the council :-D

cans

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2016, 05:51:07 pm »
So pleased for you.     :relief:
Good to hear that the man from the environmental health department used common sense. 

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2016, 07:29:32 am »
Only just caught up with this, hope this isn't your new one that's causing this grief.

:innocent:
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2016, 08:20:20 am »
New one just happened to coincide with the neighbour being an arse, we haven't noticed any change in the birds outwith the normal spring vocals..

New one is now a pampered boy as he's the one who as a token effort I'm housing over night which means he gets 2 lots of cuddles a day which he seems to enjoy, what it means is he will now be here for ever because I'm getting very attached to him...

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2016, 07:29:24 am »
Aww bless

:thumbsup:

Glad he has settled in
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2016, 10:51:53 pm »
This is whot will happen then a fine. By the way I still have 3 cockerels
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 10:55:43 pm by Victorian Farmer »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS