Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pen & strep dose?  (Read 3694 times)

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
Pen & strep dose?
« on: March 29, 2016, 11:23:25 pm »
Hi, problem with goat post kidding, been suggested a womb infection so phoned vet, couldn't get there so receptionist relayed message, 10ml of pen &Strep see how she goes on for a couple of days.
10ml seems far above recommended dosage, wondering if one of us mis-heard, though i did say TEN? And he didnt correct me, so we gave 4ml, with view we could give more later.
Any advice please?

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Pen & strep dose?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2016, 06:15:57 am »
Not sure, but for listeriosis you give really high doses twice a day...

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2016, 08:05:18 am »
Phone them again!

Herdygirl

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2016, 09:46:31 pm »
How is the goat PH?

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2016, 06:11:50 pm »
Not too bad thanks, i asked vet and it was 10ml, she likes to give a high dose to stop anything in its tracks, but I'd given goat 5 days of 3ml, so she said that was OK, goat better but not 100%, but as she was not well I couldn't worm her post kidding, now wormed so hopefully she'll feel better, went very thin and not keen on haylage. Thinking back i remembered I'd commented on her not sounding very happy day after kidding, sort of an odd bleat, like when she wants water or something, she knew something was wrong, i should have listened.
Sorry pharnorth, should have replied to say they closing, that's why it was a bit rushed and couldn't phone back.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 06:15:01 pm by penninehillbilly »

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2016, 07:43:59 pm »
Glad she is looking better. I have had that more than once when the second I put down the phone having been sure I had the dose firmly in my head I start disbelieving myself.

Black Sheep

• Joined Sep 2015
  • Briercliffe
    • Monk Hall Farm
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2016, 08:37:11 pm »
In human healthcare we've moved away from verbal instructions in pretty much all but emergency situations because of the uncertainty and potential for error. I appreciate it may not be practical in veterinary circumstances but out of curiosity does anyone ask the vet to confirm, e.g. by email or SMS? Are they amenable to this?

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2016, 12:24:58 am »
It always amazes me how many prescription medicines have the instruction for dose "As instructed by doctor." Bearing in mind that most of us forget quite quickly, whether it's for the animals or ourselves and especially if there is more than one type at a time, it seems rather risky.

Black Sheep

• Joined Sep 2015
  • Briercliffe
    • Monk Hall Farm
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2016, 05:59:34 pm »
Absolutely. There is plenty of advice out there advising people to avoid "as directed" instructions wherever possible but old habits die hard!

Sometimes the length or complexity of instructions precludes adding it to the prescription or the dispensed label - personally I then write them out longhand for the patient and use "as per written instructions" on the prescription.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2016, 09:03:38 pm »
All my medicines come with a print-out with the dose/method of application/frequency stuck to it, even individual syringes. It is how my vets records it on their system. Only difference if when I get a whole bottle of something to keep and use as and when needed, but then I know how to give it anyway.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS