Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Odd patch on newborn kid. Any clues?  (Read 2597 times)

Beeducked

• Joined Jan 2012
Odd patch on newborn kid. Any clues?
« on: March 29, 2016, 09:45:40 am »
We're having a slightly challenging kidding this year but one of the odd things is this little lad who was born the early hours of this morning.
2nd of triplets. 1st a little girl who practically bounced onto her feet as she was born. He came next, mum needed no help but took a lot longer to get onto his feet and is still quite wobbly although suckling well. Then came another big girl but that is another story. She must have come at least 2 hours later after I thought it was all over (couldn't feel anymore kids when I examined her) and mum didn't clean her up and she died. I feel awful, I should have stayed up but it was past 3am and nothing seemed to have happened for over 90 mins so thought it was all over. Sorry, tired and rambling a bit!
Anyway, back to the little boy, he has this really odd patch of bare skin on his side. It looks like a completely circular burn that has started healing with new pink skin if that makes sense.

Does anyone have any ideas what might have caused this? Was wondering if something like one of the cotyledons could stuck to him?

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
Re: Odd patch on newborn kid. Any clues?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2016, 05:01:17 pm »
I'd suspect he got grazed, either by pelvic bones of mum on the way out, or by something after he was born. Keep it clean, blue spray should prevent infection. If getting post, bleedy or he is unwell, get him to a vet.

Beeducked

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2016, 07:25:41 pm »
I'm certain it's not a graze. It's very odd (sorry the picture is terrible - I will try and get a better one but will be hard as it is now purple! ;D ). It is absolutely circular and there is no transition between healthy and abnormal skin. The abnormal area is completely uniform and it is as if just the very most superficial layer of the skin has been removed. Its hard to explain but looks like the fresh new epithelialisation you get as an ulcer heals. There is no pus, no weeping and he seems ok. He's a bit slow to get going but is up and feeding although not as quick or steady as his smaller sister. If he looks at all unwell will get him to the vet, thanks. ;D

Beeducked

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2016, 04:25:45 pm »
No more information on this except that the vet had a look when he came out to see another animal and said "It's very odd, I've no idea!"

The best theory we've come up with is that it was one of the cotelydons stuck to him. It's drying up and shrinking down. I think the area might grow some hair but even if not think it will shrink down a lot, already looks much smaller.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2016, 01:25:17 pm »
Could another goat have nipped him?
They take a good chunk of hair off when they bite!

Although your theory sounds likely - my poorly goat had lay in the mud and got clumps stuck to her hair. She has now chewed/scrapped these off, leaving little bald spots like your kid has.
Little Blue

Beeducked

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2016, 05:08:47 pm »
He was born with it!

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2016, 05:29:04 pm »
He was born with it!

That'll teach me to skim read, whilst playing with the dog, pretending to listen to the husband, supposed to be working, drinking coffee and thinking about food!! ;)
Little Blue

Beeducked

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2016, 08:09:08 pm »
He was born with it!

That'll teach me to skim read, whilst playing with the dog, pretending to listen to the husband, supposed to be working, drinking coffee and thinking about food!! ;)

But I always admire a woman who can multitask!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS