Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Itchy cows  (Read 1966 times)

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
Itchy cows
« on: March 26, 2016, 02:23:35 pm »
My Jersey girls are REALLY itchy, have rubbed themselves bald in places.  Have had a good nose around in their coats and skin and cant see any lice etc.  Could just be where it has been very warm in the day time and they haven't lost their winter coats yet.  Due to calve in 4 weeks so don't really want to be shoving loads of medication on them.  Any ideas?

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Re: Itchy cows
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2016, 04:16:24 pm »
I rub linseed oil on their backs and gently brush them down with a soft hand brush, mixed in with citronella, and that usually helps keep the lice/mites at bay which are in the hay they eat; it also helps the skin. I hope this helps :)
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2016, 08:17:15 pm »
Get the vet to do some samples. Mites are too small to see with naked eye so best to get professional to check what's going on.
Rubbing themselves bald doesn't sound like healthy itching because it's warm. Any bugs would be best treated with an effective product before it gets worse, causing them to break the skin and get infections, or before itching puts them off their food which could be catastrophic near calving.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2016, 09:52:30 am »
 Our cattle get this every winter if kept inside, and sometimes the donkeys do as well. I believe it's mites from the straw. Treatment with pour on wormer gets rid and gets them wormed as well ready for turn out.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2016, 10:08:57 am »
they have been out all winter, never get housed indoors.  Will ring vet on tues morning for advice I think  ???

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2016, 10:35:13 am »
itchy cows sorted, no lice or anything, just losing their winter coats!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS