Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Temporary Lamb Marker  (Read 10684 times)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Temporary Lamb Marker
« on: March 25, 2016, 12:48:46 pm »
Hi folks,

Has anybody found a way to identify (preferably at a distance) which lamb belongs to which ewe, when dealing with black lambs? We tried various sprays last year but they all wore off after a couple of weeks and we then lost track.

Has anybody found a spray that lasts on black fleece, or some other method of ID that works better?

[member=4333]Fleecewife[/member] - I know you said before that you use small metal ear tags. Do you know which ones they were?
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Re: Temporary Lamb Marker
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2016, 02:05:52 pm »
Have you tried illuminous sheep marker, if there is such a thing, and renew it every time it fades a little. I don't think there is one on the market which does that, but you never know [member=2128]Womble[/member] you may be able to create something unique here :)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 03:27:52 pm by waterbuffalofarmer »
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2016, 02:37:51 pm »
What, you mean like glow in the dark WBF?

I found a site selling these luminous lamb necklaces and earrings, so I suppose I could give them a try. They only last about eight hours though, and I was hoping for a little longer?  ;)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2016, 02:57:31 pm »
This is what I wrote back in 2010:

<<<<We use turkey wing tags at birth to identify the lambs - Soay and Hebridean.  They are tiny with 3 numbers on and look like a tiny padlock.  The wire loop is just pushed through the ear then clicked shut, so mimimal trauma.  They do occasionally lose one but it's not a major problem.  Then at 4 months ie weaning we swap for the bigger permanent tags and cross-ref the numbers.  The tags come from Roxan and can be re-used if you clean them. This year our Soays are a variety of colours and we can tell them all apart so we didn't bother with the turkey wing tags.>>>>

This is the link  http://www.tagfaster.com/padlock-startin-tags-61-p.asp I suppose they must be made by 'tagfaster' and are sold through roxan.  They come in 4 colours, numbers of your choice.  You're not supposed to tell them they're for sheep........ just suddenly become a turkey owner for the day.

BUT you can't see them from a distance, other than to see they are wearing them.  We leave them until the lambs are 4 months when we put in the Bubblegum tags.  A few will have lost their little tags by then, but you can still sort them out by the 'see who baa's at which lamb' method.

I love the idea of luminous paint - you could put it on their toes  :idea:.  Once they have horns of course you can use various colours of electrical tape, but no use for lambs.
Or, if you keep topknot sheep you could tie a coloured ribbon in that - not sure how long it would stay in place.  I suppose that could work on fleece anywhere.  I don't like things tied around their necks though.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 03:00:27 pm by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2016, 03:38:45 pm »
Stunning, thanks Fleecewife!

My earlier searching turned up a comment from you about using turkey wing tags, but it didn't mention which type. I note that the Startin tags are now also sold specifically for lambs, so it looks as though you've started a trend!  :)

So the wire just pushes straight through the ear and then fastens then?  How do you undo them when it's time to permanently tag them?

I've ordered a sample pack of the Roxan tags to see what they're like (Hope I don't have to put on the red light  ;D).

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2016, 05:11:32 pm »
The square part of the tag has a curled edge.  When you've pushed the loop through the ear (they don' usually seem to feel this), you close it over and press the curled bit shut.  To open it again, open out the curl with your thumb nail. You'll see what I mean when your sample arrives. These tags don't leave a hole, and if they should pull out it heals over almost immediately.  Time to order mine too.
Oh I'm such a trend setter  :llama:
« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 05:13:50 pm by Fleecewife »

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2016, 05:48:34 pm »
About 10 years ago, when I had more black lambs than I get now, I used to buy a fluorescent orange spray for them. It had to be refreshed every few weeks, but it certainly showed up on black. I haven't seen it recently, but then I haven't looked as it didn't last as well as ordinary marker sprays. so I don't need it now I have white lambs. 
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2016, 06:50:22 pm »
Those tags now come in 'lamb' and 'chick' options... Would you still choose 'chick' for lambs of primitives?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2016, 10:25:29 pm »
Bleach?  :thinking:

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2016, 10:44:20 pm »
Those tags now come in 'lamb' and 'chick' options... Would you still choose 'chick' for lambs of primitives?

Interesting - they don't give the different measurements, so a phone call is needed.  Will have to be Monday now.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2016, 07:31:29 am »

Interesting - they don't give the different measurements, so a phone call is needed.  Will have to be Monday now.

Make that Tuesday as monday is a bank holiday this week.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2016, 08:31:05 am »
Well logically you'd think that the ones you've had before were the turkey markers (since that's what they were originally sold for), so I'd expect the lamb ones to be a wee bit bigger than your previous order?

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2016, 10:01:59 am »

Make that Tuesday as monday is a bank holiday this week.

:idea: :dunce: ;D

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2016, 10:03:55 am »
Well logically you'd think that the ones you've had before were the turkey markers (since that's what they were originally sold for), so I'd expect the lamb ones to be a wee bit bigger than your previous order?

Ah - logic  :thinking:  mmm think I'll still check  :farmer:

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2016, 12:54:06 pm »
Well, the sample tags I ordered on Good Friday at 3.30pm arrived less than 24 hours later - can't fault that for service!

Unfortunately there's no padlock style tag included, which the website seemed to say would be. Their tagfaster system looks excellent for larger numbers of sheep though, whilst we may well go for one of the 'Rubba' designs for permanent ID this year as we need to include the Zwartbles registration number for any that will be kept or sold for breeding.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS