Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Thinking about planting some gorse (am I mad??)  (Read 5243 times)

Creagan

• Joined Jun 2013
Thinking about planting some gorse (am I mad??)
« on: March 24, 2016, 08:44:34 pm »
I'm looking at ways of camouflaging a sewerage treatment system which sits in the field in front of a house I'm building. What's visible is a large (2x1.5m) plastic lid plus a short pillar sticking up. Whatever I do with it, I would like it to look natural, so my idea was to surround it with some stones to look like a tumbledown old wall, and then I was thinking of planting some gorse in and around it. I really, really, do not want to have to out a fence up around it as that will just make it stand out even more I think.

So, any advice on planting gorse?? I realise most people are trying to get rid of it! How deep are the roots- the sewerage system pipes are about 70cm below the ground.

I could consider planting hawthorn instead but I think it might be too slow to establish?

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Thinking about planting some gorse (am I mad??)
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2016, 09:44:11 am »
How about rugosa rose instead. It grows pretty quickly and won't spread like the gorse. If you get a scented one it will also hide any smell.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Creagan

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2016, 03:59:37 pm »
Thanks, I think that might be what i have growing up the back garden already actually!
With a bit of googling I'm finding that gorse is actually considered quite slow growing, which surprised me. Hawthorn, or at least 'quickthorn' appears to be quite a bit faster, but the rose might be the fastest of the lot.

If all else were equal I would prefer to do it in gorse because it would look the most natural. Most fields around here have a clump of stones with gorse growing in amongst them. Whereas a patch of roses would be a wee bit out of place! Perhaps I'll chuck in a mixture of all three and see how it goes.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2016, 05:30:10 pm »
Be careful of gorse though, as it spreads very quickly. My land I have to keep harrowing and chopping because of gorse, a bloomin pain it is!
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

oor wullie

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Strathnairn
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2016, 06:40:47 pm »
We have 2 gorse bushes that are only knee high and in the 4 years we have been here have never tried to spread.  I don't know why, perhaps the ground is too acid and peaty?

I really like them and the yellow flowers but I can see why they could be trouble if they tried to take over.

I once saw an old machine (in Caithness I think)used for bruising gorse so it could be fed to cattle.  Apparently it is quite a good feed (or perhaps it just seemed like a good feed when crofters animals were facing famine and had nothing else).  Obviously it needs to be bruised fairly well.

CarolineJ

• Joined Dec 2015
  • North coast of Scotland
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2016, 06:53:16 pm »
My horses and sheep are all partial to nibbling on a bit of gorse, even when there's grass around.  Agree it doesn't grow that fast though.

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2016, 07:23:48 pm »
A propos gorse growing - did you all know that if you squeeze the flowers it smells of coconuts. I didnt until someone told me so I thought I would post even if  it isnt really on point!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2016, 08:01:04 pm »
A propos gorse growing - did you all know that if you squeeze the flowers it smells of coconuts. I didnt until someone told me so I thought I would post even if  it isnt really on point!

It doesn't smell like cocunit to me. The air smells like athlete's foot powder to me when the gorse is on bloom!
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2016, 09:12:18 pm »
I understand where you're coming from on that one, it does have a coconut smell to it, along with a greenery smell to it too.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Hamish Crofter

• Joined Jun 2013
  • Isle of Skye
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2016, 10:09:07 pm »

I'm also thinking of planting gorse along the edge of my access road onto my croft. It's about 200 mtrs long but am a bit worried that even with annual pruning it could get out of hand. It looks natural and does have a wonderful coconut smell.

crofter 65

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Wester Ross
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2016, 10:32:34 am »
Beware Gorse can be extremely difficult to control, I have it on my croft and trying to get rid of it in places, it does give good privacy but it spreads very quickly keeping it in check is hard as cutting it only helps it grow.   

Hamish Crofter

• Joined Jun 2013
  • Isle of Skye
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2016, 08:45:46 pm »

We have none close by and I'm concerned that any I plant will spread to neighbouring crofts and I'll not be popular!
Anyone got suggestions for alternatives

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2016, 03:33:55 pm »
Gorse flower wine is delicious but it doesn't taste of coconuts  :innocent:  I wouldn't drink it if it did. :excited:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2016, 09:06:25 am »
You can also pickle the buds.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2016, 11:41:17 am »
I smell coconuts :)

We have lots of it, great on banks for shelter. But we ve never planted it ourselves, and yes it does need keeping under bay.  Ponies love the flowers.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS