Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: home slaughter for own consumption. - does anyone do this. need advice  (Read 4170 times)

lizzypeg

• Joined Oct 2012
hi does anyone on here slaughter their sheep/goats at home for own consumption?

im looking into it but wanted to know pros and cons etc.

iv read up a lot on defra, humane slaughter association etc.. but wanted personal views on it from people who have done it.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Have you come across this article by Tim Tyne yet?  We found it very helpful  :thumbsup:.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

farmershort

• Joined Nov 2010
I thought the head of meat goats gets sent off by the abattoir for BSE testing? Seems like this important step would be missed with home slaughter of goats. I've never heard it said about sheep/pigs though, and I have in-laws who regularly take a sheep a sheep or pig for home use.

baffledog1

• Joined Jan 2015
Had two wethers home slaughtered in January. Guy around here has all the equipment and is an expert. Does it for all the local farmers who need a pig/sheep for themselves.

All I can say NO stress to the animal. Brought out of barn taken to a quiet corner and bang ...gone. No struggling no journey/wait at slaughter house. Skinned and prepared carcass, it hung for a while in his fridge then he brought it back and did the cuts I wanted.

Just wish I could have all my lambs done in the same way. Local Hunt kennels very kindly took the bits that were no use. Also(though no evidence this is true) you actually get your own animal back which have been told is not always the case.

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
Home slaughter is only legal if you kill and prepare it yourself in the UK.
Otherwise, it must be slaughtered by a licensed slaughterman in a licensed premises (abattoir).

Calvadnack

• Joined Jun 2009
A precedence has been set under English law by our local slaughterman in Cornwall, who, after going through the court is now allowed to home slaughter but only for owner consumption.  Outside England will be different.

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
A precedence has been set under English law by our local slaughterman in Cornwall, who, after going through the court is now allowed to home slaughter but only for owner consumption.  Outside England will be different.

Can you point me in the direction of the facts about  this please

Calvadnack

• Joined Jun 2009
If you search for less stress slaughter or Keith long mobile slaughter you'll get background and links to others eg in Wales who have set up.

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • Facebook

Can you point me in the direction of the facts about  this please

Seconded. The current advice from the FSA clearly states this is illegal:

https://www.food.gov.uk/sites/default/files/home-killguide.pdf

Page 12:

Slaughter on-farm by an itinerant slaughterman

28. An itinerant slaughterman can neither slaughter a farmer?s animal nor dress
it. It is unlawful for a farmer to use the services of an itinerant slaughterman
to do so because the slaughterman would be supplying goods (i.e. a dressed
or undressed carcase) in the course of his business.

Dan

• Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • Facebook
I thought we'd been here before, here's a thread from 2012 with the same discussion of the law and the guidance from FSA. This links to an interesting view on the FSA's guidance:

http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/forum/index.php?topic=28970.msg293109#msg293109

I don't doubt that there are those who use itinerant slaughtermen for home slaughter, but there's no clear case law that points to it being legal.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
If you search for less stress slaughter or Keith long mobile slaughter you'll get background and links to others eg in Wales who have set up.

I'm afraid the only relevant link I could find is this one, from a BBC news website article:

Keith Long from Less Stress Slaughter has seen his business crumble under the new rules, but thinks the answer is to regulate the trade He said: "Give us a special licence or special right to do it and the council could come along and use a special stamp so people would know it's only for farm-only consumption."

Oh, and I turned up this USA based article from Modern Farmer magazine, written from a smallholder's point of view. I don't agree with everything in it, but it made me think, so I thought I'd share.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 07:37:42 am by Dan »
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS