Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Blimmin' cat!  (Read 5026 times)

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
Blimmin' cat!
« on: March 20, 2016, 08:36:27 pm »
I have a very playful young cat who thinks it's great fun to chase the feather dusters that roam freely in my garden.  it scares the bejesus out of the hens, but she doesn't otherwise harm them. 

I could confine the hens to barracks - they have a nice big run - but I'd rather not.  can anyone think of some method of discouraging the cat from chasing the hens?  >:(

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
Re: Blimmin' cat!
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2016, 08:56:36 pm »
Let a broody hen rear some chicks, she'll soon teach the cat the rules of etiquette around chickens!!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2016, 09:40:54 pm »
One day that cat will have a mouse, and the hens will take it.  After that, there will be respect.  Ask me how I know ;)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2016, 05:29:57 pm »
I've 3 cats who were all adult when the first hens arrived - there has never been any question who is top of the pecking order from day one.  So no idea how it happened but it does happen somehow.
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2016, 06:21:32 pm »
ours grew out of it.
get a cockeral

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2016, 08:40:18 pm »
and talking of cockerels I have one for sale atm, free to good home, can't say fairer than that ;)
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2016, 10:34:34 pm »
Bit of a stretch from me sadly...

Thanks for the ideas.  No broodies at present, but I may be able to borrow one, or a cockerel.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2016, 11:42:41 am »
Get a cockerel around two years old, preferably a large fowl, that's used to running with hens.

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2016, 09:31:18 am »
I'm going to have to do something serious! She came home with a pheasant last night!  :o

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2016, 09:34:46 am »
You could just get rid of her and buy in a castrated male cat instead. I know it may sound harsh but she sounds terrible the way she is terrorizing stuff. On the other hand you could buy a kitten or two and bring them up with the chickens so theyre fine with them? I have a cat and he is an absoloute darling! I hope that you can resolve this soon :hug:
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2016, 10:07:22 am »
I'm going to have to do something serious! She came home with a pheasant last night!  :o

Well that's Sunday dinner sorted isn't it?  ;D

Sorry don't really have a solution, as mine are in a run and all (adult neutered) tomcat does is stare at them from the outside...

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2016, 10:13:51 am »
Mine are in the run for the time being.  I'm going to try to find a big grumpy cockerel, but I suspect even then she'll simply avoid him and still chase the hens. 

She isn't a big cat at all but was from a feral mum. Wish she'd stick to the job of hunting mice and rats!

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2016, 05:30:58 pm »
I have two cats and 3 dogs. The hens chase them if they even think of stepping out of line and that includes my Jack Russell.  ;D

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2016, 07:12:00 pm »
You could just get rid of her and buy in a castrated male cat instead.

Had a neutered male cat that started taking half and 3/4 grown chickens... Along with moles, squirrels and rats.  Rehoming your cat may or may not be an option, but I'm not sure a male will be less likely to get at them :-/   That said, I think it's quite rare for cats to have a go at chickens.  See if you can borrow a cock and I hope it works out for you.

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2016, 04:56:38 pm »
I'm on the lookout for a fiesty cockerel to borrow now. The only problem being that the last one we had attacked us more than anything else. Ecept perhaps full feedsacks.  He hated them.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS