Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Awful day  (Read 12066 times)

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Re: Awful day
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2016, 09:03:29 am »
I am so sorry to hear this., people just dont realize the impact it has on others lives. I hope that you get justice for this, as it really is horrible thing to happen. Here is hugs to you both :hug: :hug: :hug: I have had problems with dogs a few times one of which was a rotweiler, but he never harmed any sheep to my knowledge. The owner was partially deaf but used it as an excuse to ignore me when I said he was tresspassing, on many occasions in my field. I had another case were a lady built a gate onto my land from her own and let her dogs loose on it crapping in it too. I have had words with her, however she is a horrible woman and doesnt listen to anyone at all, it is also rented land. I was thinking of putting up a fence in front of that gate as she has no right of access. She has been a real thorn in my side for the past 12 years. I lost a sheep due to its eating dog poop which was around the time she let them loose in the field. Another case of sheep worrying the year before last was an expensive dog  possibly a dogue de bordeaux young dog still a pup, which cornered a sheep and the sheep was terrified and i managed to chase it away with a large stick. I told the owners, as it had gone missing, that if I saw it on my land again I would shoot it. I have never seen it or them since!
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2016, 09:12:03 am »
Truly awful for you. I hope the little lamb survives. I only have seven sheep and two goats but would be devastated if they were attacked.  Take care :hug:

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2016, 09:28:53 am »
My parents farmed with a public right of way right passing the farm in a busy tourist area so I grew up with the problem of dogs.

With all the social media and opportunities for an campaign why does the message not get across?

I think partly people don't really believe "their dog" would do such a thing so it isn't relevant to them. We don't hear enough about what happens if owners are traced. So, often the damage is done and there is no sign of dog or owner. People might see the pictures of dead and injured sheep but pictures of dead dogs would get the message over quicker.

I honestly don't think there is an easy answer. People know drinking and driving kills, speeding kills, smoking damages your health but it still happens.

I haven't seen any signs out yet but the hill farms haven't got going yet with lambing but the signs I have seen in the past could be improved. Tell people their dogs can be shot, they will have to compensate the farmer and typical costs etc but at the end of the day the problem will always be catching them.

Really sorry for everyone's losses. And some are made sadder because they are your neighbours and if they don't care what chance is there with Jo Public?

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2016, 11:52:33 am »
Well, tiny lamb made it through the night and her chest sounds really clear today (as does her ridiculously loud bleet!). Have been out and bought Lamlac and a new bottle. Next feed due at 12 so I will try the bottle. Still terrified of drowning her! Wish me luck!
Don’t Monkey With Another Monkey’s Monkey

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2016, 11:54:40 am »
All the best and I am so glad all is working out well for you. I had a premature calf last week and had to spend all day nursing her, it did pay off and she is growing beautifully now, still drinking 2 litres 3 times a day, as her stomach isn't as big as the other calves.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2016, 02:48:55 pm »
Very sorry to read this, if they return don't take any chances returning them or they might be back again.
Best wishes.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 02:53:28 pm by OhLaLa »

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2016, 03:11:17 pm »
Too sickened to think of anything to say but sorry for your loss a good luck with baby.
Like many others I wish there was more farmers could do about loose dogs

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2016, 04:28:28 pm »
The dogs were seized by the police so I guess I just have to wait to hear what will happen next. I'd hope that they'd inform me if they are returned to the owners  ???

They have just been to collect the sheep's bodies so I guess it is over now and we can move on. Good to have this little one to focus on

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2016, 05:21:24 pm »
Yes that is good news. I think that the police if they have seized the dogs and the carcases they are preparing a case for the courtroom and using the carcases as evidence. I think the dogs will be destroyed because as you said this isn't the first time it has happened. The owner is clearly irresponsible and he may even get prosecuted. It could be a long few months. I hope everything turns out well  and all the best with the little one she is soooooo cute and cuddly, you have indeed done a marvellous job, well done! :thumbsup:

cans

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2016, 05:55:18 pm »
Wee lambie is gorgeous, hope she is taking the bottle ok. 
Really sorry about her circumstances though    :hug:

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2016, 06:37:07 pm »
How very awful... for you and your sheep!
Good luck with the tiny one, hope it pulls through.  :fc:
"If one way is better than another, it is the way of nature." (Aristotle)

Red

• Joined Mar 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2016, 09:40:16 pm »
The lamb is beautiful! If you know who's the owner is then get an article in the local paper and radio ... We need to start naming and shaming ... A local greyhound rescue has taken this tact and it works X
Red

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2016, 10:27:29 pm »
So sorry to read this. We have only had our sheep a month or so but I can't imagine how horrific this must be. So glad that little lambie is doing ok

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2016, 09:53:06 am »
Little Orphan Annie has indeed taken well to the bottle. She'd suck the life out of anything, bless her! The boy spaniels do not seem to mind her attempts at their manhood!

On a significantly less pleasant note, the police called last night. The dogs have been returned to the owners who were apparently "very apologetic". I asked what I can do to get this to court and he said that it is not up to me, it is up to the "decision marker".
I know for a fact that they will get out again (and now they have killed....). When we have returned them before the owner has said "I keep blocking up the hole they get out of but they always find somewhere else".
They police said that if I see them again we should shoot them, but obviously I'd need to see them before they kill my sheep! What do I do when the rest of the lambs are born (due this weekend)? Keep them locked up in a terrier proof unit?!
As well as killing 2 of my sheep (only one can be used as evidence as we didn't see them kill the other one so it may have been a coincidence!) they also killed another in the field behind my boys and ran amok through the field opposite and the ewes in there have been aborting since. The other farmer won't report it as he says there's no point if it wasn't witnessed.
Feel sick.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2016, 10:29:55 am »
I feel sick with and for you.   :hug:  :bouquet:

It's an utterly horrible situation.  It'd be enough to make me think about giving up.  I'm sure we'd all shoot a dog that was worrying our sheep (if we had a gun handy, a license to use it and the skill to do the job required) but that doesn't mean any of us would be happy to do so, nor that we wouldn't be haunted by the events, whether or not we got the dog(s) shot.

The only tiny glimmer of light is that the owners must now be quite sure that you will indeed shoot their dogs if they get among your sheep again.  If they do care about their dogs, that should make them take extra care to keep them locked up.  :fc:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS