Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Awful day  (Read 12090 times)

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
Awful day
« on: March 20, 2016, 08:29:44 pm »
Was awoken at 1.30 to dogs barking in the field. Went out to find two terriers attacking Poppy sheep. They had ripped her udder off. She was due to lamb next week. The vet got the lamb out before he shot her. Sickened.
Went to check the other sheep this morning and they have killed one of those as well. Never seen anything as stomach churning. I know they are 'only sheep' but when you only have 8, they really are pets. The vet and the police were fantastic. The vet didn't hold much hope for the lamb but she seems to be doing really well (touch wood many, many times!). Have been tubing her colostrum every 2 hours (40ml) as per the vets instructions. After each feed she seems really hungry. Can I give her more than 40ml? Scared of overflowing her first stomach. We have a bottle, but the hole seems too big so will tube her tonight and get a new bottle/teat tomorrow and some milk replacement.
Don’t Monkey With Another Monkey’s Monkey

Brandi

• Joined Oct 2012
Re: Awful day
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2016, 08:32:30 pm »
 :hug: Oh my goodness, you must be in complete shock, how horrific and devastating for you, take care and wishing you all the best, small steps forward and big hugs :hug:

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2016, 08:33:51 pm »
How awful  :'( I hope you know who owns the dogs.......

:fc: the lambs continues to do well, keep tubing little and often as they are greedy beggers with no full button!

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2016, 08:37:04 pm »
Thanks Guys, I'll stick to 40mls then.
Yes, we know who owns the dogs, but I have handed them over to the police. Wish we'd shot them but wasn't sure about the legalities. Unfortunately the last time they worried sheep it wasn't reported to the police so this looks like the first time its happened. If he gets them back they will be out and about again in no time :-(

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2016, 08:40:47 pm »
I should bring the sheep close to the house and keep the gun cabinet key to hand.....your well within your rights to shoot them if they are attacking your stock. It's the clearest message to other dog owners to. I'd also be warning others local to you with sheep  :hug:

Oopsiboughtasheep

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Hampshire
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2016, 08:41:21 pm »
Oh how awful for you JM. So distressing and your poor sheep. I hope your little lamb does well.  :hug:
Anything that costs you your peace is too expensive

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2016, 08:49:39 pm »
How terrible! Deepest sympathies.

I am an awful person because my vengful neanderthal part hopes you get the opportunity to shoot the dogs. How can someone be so careless time and again? Sounds like arrogant disregard of other people's property and livestock to me.

Good luck with the wee lamb.

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2016, 08:55:04 pm »
The sheep are in the field under my bedroom window so close to the house. I ran out and caught them.My fella wanted to shoot them after I'd caught them but you can't do that and I didn't want to risk him losing his licence. Had to make snap decisions and hindsight is a wonderful thing.
Just hope to god that the courts say they have to be destroyed. I love dogs, but not sheep killers.

Am I right to keep tubing her tonight rather than try the bottle? When I tip the bottle it drips out about 2 drips per second and I'm scared of her getting any in her under developed lungs.

The guy who owns them is a lovely, very well spoken older gentleman, but is an alcoholic and I think he sometimes forgets he's let them out.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 09:11:40 am by Jukes Mum »

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2016, 09:19:49 pm »
So sorry to hear this - I don't know if it IS getting more common or is simply more public via social media.

A friend of mine found a husky in her sheep shed last weekend, eating a lamb. It had killed six out of seven lambs and savaged one ewe so badly she had to be pts. One or two ewes have since aborted.

The owner of the dog was horrified - it had slipped its restraint - and the dog has been pts and my friend compensated. Buta horrific incident.

I hope the wee lamby is OK.

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
  • Home is were my animals are.
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2016, 09:25:03 pm »
Little sweetheart,  so sorry you must be in total shock  :hug: Now they have had a taste for attacking sheep who knows what they are capable of next !  Its horrific, this seems to be getting more common as its been on the news several times recently.

CarolineJ

• Joined Dec 2015
  • North coast of Scotland
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2016, 09:50:31 pm »
So sorry to hear this :(  Fingers crossed the police/court take the appropriate action.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2016, 10:02:27 pm »
What a horrible thing to have happen - to your sheep and to you both.   :hug:

It is utterly awful when you've hundreds of sheep, too, by the way.  You spend all your energies caring for and nurturing these animals, planning your tupping and anticipating the lambing...  It's utterly sickening, in every sense of the word, when something like this happens, whether you've 8 sheep or 50 or 200.

There is certainly more on social media, but I can tell you that the message doesn't seem to be reaching dog owners.  I was incandescent with rage at two lots of owners yesterday. 

The first was on the private access track to where I keep my sheep, with a Boston Terrier off-lead.  She was about 30 yards from the nearest sheep at that point, with a stock fence and a galvanised gate between them.  She leashed the dog when she heard the quad bike approaching.  She was just being nosy, she said, clearly utterly bemused as to why I would be so angry and shouting at her to keep her dog leashed anywhere near sheep at lambing time.  (Not to mention not trespassing off the public walkways, especially at lambing time, and with a dog.)

The second owner was some distance from the sheep's field, but in countryside where they couldn't know how far the nearest sheep might be.  They leashed their Skye Terrier as they heard the quad bike approaching (this is a regular thing and it makes my blood boil.  They know their dogs should be on a lead and only leash them when they hear or see the farmer approaching.  :rant: :rant:)   I said nothing, except with my expression, but further down the track I found a small white terrier running about.  Sure enough, this belonged to the same people.  It was several hundred yards away from them, completely out of their sight.  I said a bit more about this one.

There was some stuff on Facebook recently, where a Husky had been shot dead as it attacked sheep.  The owner couldn't understand why the farmer had shot it, all he'd have needed to do was fire over its head and it would have run away, she said. 

I'm a bit emotional due lack of sleep due lots of pet lambs (too many triplets!) and just generally being lambing time.  But I am so worried that we're losing this one, along with so many others.  More and more people are getting out of farming; it's becoming an untenable lifestyle, and not just financially.

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2016, 10:04:00 pm »
A common occurrence unfortunately
Since November the count here is 8 dead, 20+ stitched up , countless jabbed with AB for bites

Please report to NSA as well, they keep a growing database in an effort to increase awareness, penalties and to try and find ways to address this problem

Good luck

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2016, 10:04:35 pm »
What a dreadful thing to happen. Hope the lamb is OK.  My thoughts are with you.
4 pet sheep

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2016, 08:32:46 am »
My fella wanted to shoot them after I'd caught them but you can't do that and I didn't want to risk him losing his licence. Had to make snap decisions and hindsight is a wonderful thing.

What a horrible situation, but even in hindsight, you made the correct decision!

This was discussed on another thread recently. Once you've caught the dogs, they're not posing any danger to your sheep, and thus you can't shoot them. If you see them worrying your sheep again of course, and then you're well within your rights.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS