Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Mangalitza cross Duroc - Question  (Read 3248 times)

zackyb

• Joined Oct 2010
Mangalitza cross Duroc - Question
« on: March 14, 2016, 02:52:24 pm »
I am sending my boar to the abbatoir ready for my next batch of sausages. I've sent boars and gilts/sows before but not a Duroc cross. A neighbour has  said he thinks I am mad as the sausages will be tainted as its not a native breed or native breed cross.

Does anyone have any thoughts / information / experience on the Duroc breed please? I am new to it and bought him as a tiny weaner to try the meat and temperatment etc as an experiment. He did grow huge and is a lovely big lovely looking friendly pig - but in terms of anything else... the so called boar taint etc.. he seems no different to my other pigs - healthy, happy and smells just lovely of an outdoor pig (celery, earth, mud, grass etc  :) [size=78%] [/size]
[/size]
[/size][size=78%]Thanks in advance for your feedback and help.[/size]

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Re: Mangalitza cross Duroc - Question
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2016, 03:05:51 pm »
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2016, 03:23:56 pm »
It's quite possible that your neighbour is a nutcase.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2016, 04:46:32 pm »
I am sending my boar to the abbatoir ready for my next batch of sausages. I've sent boars and gilts/sows before but not a Duroc cross. A neighbour has  said he thinks I am mad as the sausages will be tainted as its not a native breed or native breed cross.

Does anyone have any thoughts / information / experience on the Duroc breed please? I am new to it and bought him as a tiny weaner to try the meat and temperatment etc as an experiment. He did grow huge and is a lovely big lovely looking friendly pig - but in terms of anything else... the so called boar taint etc.. he seems no different to my other pigs - healthy, happy and smells just lovely of an outdoor pig (celery, earth, mud, grass etc  :) [size=78%] [/size]
[/size]
[/size][size=78%]Thanks in advance for your feedback and help.[/size]
What your neighbour said is absoloute sheizer. Boar taint, or taint is attributed to a pig being sexaully active and not because of whether it is native to this country or not. I know of people whio say that duroc pig pork is really, really tasty. All the best with everything and do let us know how you get on. :thumbsup:
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2016, 05:03:43 pm »
Tainted non native?  Sound like a politically incorrect joke.

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2016, 06:58:52 pm »
agree with the sentiments - the breed will have no effect on whether there is boar taint.

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS