Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Electric Fence - question from a dummy  (Read 4206 times)

Chicka17

• Joined Mar 2016
Electric Fence - question from a dummy
« on: March 14, 2016, 02:40:13 pm »
Hello,  I hope this makes sense and it's not the most stupid question in the world (to date)

I have never put up an electric fence before but I have read up on it and understand the principles.  I have set up my posts and am now ready to run my polywire. 

Looking at my set up, which will be 3 strands high, I can see that I could run one continuous wire through the insulators to the end post and then simply move up to the insulater above and run the wire back to the start post and then repeat for the 3rd strand.  Thus eliminating the need for jumping wires (which I don't have). 

Will this work?

Mandy

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
Re: Electric Fence - question from a dummy
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2016, 03:25:51 pm »
Yes that's the way to do it.

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2016, 05:10:16 pm »
Yes. The point that took me longest to learn despite it being in all the literature is that good earthing is critical.  Especially if you are in a dry area. I now have three 1m deep earth stakes in series. 

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2016, 06:23:12 pm »
And don't do what my friend did and try it with his hand whilst wearing trainers :roflanim:

ScribbleUk

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2016, 09:50:08 am »
Yes, both options work - either one long strand running back and forth, or multiple strands running one length only and joined at the ends.

I have both, and both work well.  If I was installing anymore, I would opt for the multiple strands joined at the ends.  Simply because it is easier to tension the individual strands rather than an extremely long strand running back and forth.  The downside is that there are more connectors to purchase and maintain.

The downside to a single long strand running back and forth, is that a break anywhere in that wire will fault the entire length until repaired.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2016, 10:06:38 am »
And don't do what my friend did and try it with his hand whilst wearing trainers :roflanim:

Test it using a blade of grass.  Grass is a poor conductor, so you will feel the pulse but at a much reduced level.  I'm a wuss, so I pick a nice long thick blade of grass, hold it at the cut end and drape the tip over the wire.  Gradually move it closer until I feel the pulse.

Or you can get a friend wearing trainers to touch it for you, of course  :roflanim:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2016, 11:13:14 am »
I must be a bigger wuss because I forked out the £10 for a fence tester gadget.  But still manage the odd head of collision doh.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2016, 12:21:03 pm »
I must be a bigger wuss because I forked out the £10 for a fence tester gadget.  But still manage the odd head of collision doh.
:roflanim:  :dunce:  :roflanim:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Chicka17

• Joined Mar 2016
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2016, 03:19:51 pm »
Thank you so much for confirming.  I did not want to set it all up and then find It did not work.  Also for the info about the earthing, tension and the testing.   I don't have a tester so will be grabbing it by hand, the blade of grass info will help enormously. 

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2016, 07:54:44 am »
Easy and instant test without shocking yourself is just to push the lowest strand down onto the floor with your welly . As it touches the floor you should hear it clicking away and may even see a spark if you've got a good jolt in it. I used to have an old piece of scythe handle with a rubber grip and a metal shaft. I used to stick it in the ground next to the fence then move it onto the wires. Once again a spark and audible clicking could be heard if the fence was working. No need for expensive fence testing gadgets.

Chicka17

• Joined Mar 2016
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2016, 04:04:00 pm »
It's all working!  Again...many thanks.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS