Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Has anyone ever tried to make their own herbal tea?  (Read 27738 times)

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Has anyone ever tried to make their own herbal tea?
« on: February 28, 2016, 01:56:17 pm »
A lot of us grow herbs and I grow quite a lot of peppermint and I was wondering if anyone had ever made any tea out of what they grow and possibly the process involved? Would be great to know what you think guys :)
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
Re: Has anyone ever tried to make their own herbal tea?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2016, 02:45:51 pm »
In Greece, where I come from, herbs picked off the mountain are very commonly used as herbal tea. Simply pour boiling water over your chosen herb(s), let it steep, strain through a sieve (or use a loose leaf tea 'infuser' i.e. a sieve made to fit into a mug or tea pot). You can use fresh or dried herbs - which ones you like is all down to personal taste. I have used mint, chamomile and sage grown here, and when my folks visit I always ask them to bring me bunches of mountain herbs for tea.
"If one way is better than another, it is the way of nature." (Aristotle)

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2016, 03:10:11 pm »
I make my own herbal tea. I just dry the herbs and store them in an airtight container and take a bit out when i want some tea. Make the tea as you would with tea leaves. My favourite is made from my chocolate peppermint. simples :)

You can also buy coffee filters and fill them with dried herbs and then sew them into a tea bag and you have herbal tea bags

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2016, 03:33:47 pm »
I also have chocolate peppermint, I wasn't sure what sort of a tea it would make but i have tons of it growing during the summer and if you step on it the garden smells delicious :D
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2016, 04:06:11 pm »
I have also used it to make ice cream - lovely!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2016, 05:05:49 pm »
I love this question - teas/tisanes/herbal concoctions were made from the living plants long before someone had the bright idea of selling dried herbs as tea bags.
As well as the usual peppermint tea (with a slice of lemon and a dot of honey), you can infuse almost anything which isn't poisonous, although most taste disgusting.  I often use a mix of nettle tips (great for UTIs but tastes vile) with feverfew (usually used for headache), any kind of mint, plus a bit of thyme and some monarda, lemon balm, raspberry leaves or anything else which is in season, with my usual dot of honey.  Any of these can be used on their own of course, but I love to play around with mixes. Rosehips can be used in winter when your choice is limited.
Nettles used to be used as a spring internal cleanser and to give some much needed vitamins etc after the long winter.  They went into potage too - I hope they washed them, as nettles grow where people have pee'ed  :o
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 05:08:04 pm by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2016, 05:49:08 pm »
dried backberry leaves .

I've used them to make an infusion to add to rabbits drinking water if I noticed they were becoming a bit loose .  It is quite effective but not as effective as using fresh fed leaf.

I was advised by a herbalist that regular drinks of a strong nettle tea is supposed to be very good for men  at keeping  prostate cancer at bay . Specifiably it has been a known cancer inheritance.
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Charlie1234

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Powys
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2017, 06:52:32 pm »
My Mrs makes her own tea as she does not like my Yorkshires.
She uses rose bay willow (fireweed). nettles,dandelion,raspberry leaf and many others.
The fireweed is also known as Ivans Tea in Russia,you can have it dried or fermented and the other half makes both.
5 Dogs,5 cats,40 chickens,2badger faced sheep + a full freezer

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2017, 09:03:31 pm »
Sounds lovely that. How does it taste? [member=168230]Charlie1234[/member] ?

Charlie1234

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Powys
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2017, 11:52:55 pm »
My Mrs loves it but I dont like it  :innocent:
It does not have the same tar like appearance I am used to lol
5 Dogs,5 cats,40 chickens,2badger faced sheep + a full freezer

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2017, 03:12:45 pm »
I also have chocolate peppermint, I wasn't sure what sort of a tea it would make but i have tons of it growing during the summer and if you step on it the garden smells delicious :D

Pick herb (about 2-3 inches of stem+leaves for mint). Put in mug. Boil kettle. Pour over. Mash a bit with spoon. Fish out any floating critters  ::)  Drink when no longer boiling. Top up with boiling water whenever. Add to compost heap when no longer tastes of anything.
 ;D :innocent:

On a serious note, taste and strength of flavour are very personal / subjective, so I'd just play around. You could look up the blend ingredients of packets of herbal tea you enjoy?

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2017, 04:11:06 pm »

Pick herb (about 2-3 inches of stem+leaves for mint). Put in mug. Boil kettle. Pour over. Mash a bit with spoon. Fish out any floating critters  ::)  Drink when no longer boiling. Top up with boiling water whenever. Add to compost heap when no longer tastes of anything.
 ;D :innocent:

On a serious note, taste and strength of flavour are very personal / subjective, so I'd just play around. You could look up the blend ingredients of packets of herbal tea you enjoy?
Thanks for that [member=3961]YorkshireLass[/member]  will certainly try it. The only herbal tea I drink is peppermint, and some green tea and chamomile tea too although not a big fan of the green tea, mum likes it though :) I was really thinking of it because my mum drinks a lot of peppermint tea, so I was thinking maybe of something which would be a cheaper alternative to buying it and also I would know what had gone into the mint leaves. I am thinking though that chocolate mint is certainly more potent than peppermint? What about the health properties wise, would it be just as good for the digestion do you think?

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2017, 09:40:49 pm »
My choc mint was a lot less potent as a tea than I thought it would be from the raw plant.
As for properties, I am guessing that the main compounds will be present, but I have no idea to what extent or how variable this is.

Oh, pineappleweed flowers make a nice, sweet tea. They're the ones that look like mayweed or low growing chamomile but without petals.

http://wildflowerfinder.org.uk/Flowers/P/PineappleWeed/PineappleWeed_2007_07_27_HallRoad_Formby_Freshfield_500p1.jpg

carla78

• Joined Jan 2017
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2017, 03:31:56 pm »
Always fancied trying out nettle tea, as fresh nettle is supposed to be the best.

I would imagine most wild herbs and plants would make a good, healthy brew.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2017, 04:34:29 pm »
Always fancied trying out nettle tea, as fresh nettle is supposed to be the best.

I would imagine most wild herbs and plants would make a good, healthy brew.

The first nettle shoots of spring are best, for eating steamed too.  The tea tastes particularly dire though, so add some mint and lemon and maybe a dot of honey to make it drinkable, then think of all the good it's doing you  ;D .  My nettles haven't come through yet, but I'm waiting for them.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS