Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Who is growing what this year?  (Read 13671 times)

CPWSolf

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Somerset
  • Wannabe Smallholder
Re: Who is growing what this year?
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2016, 10:15:38 am »
Have an 8'x6' greenhouse and a 12'x12' (roughly) veggie plot. Plus a strawberry bed, and a caned fruit area, and an asparagus patch.

The usual suspects here:

Potatoes, cucumber, courgettes, leeks, peas, beans, peppers, chillis, tomatoes, parsnips, lettuce, radish, spinach, beetroot, carrots, garlic, asparagus, rhubarb. Plus a variety of soft fruits (all ready established).

New to me this year:

Butternut squash, melons, sweetcorn and gherkins.

Not happening this year:

Onions (space and only I eat them), cabbages,sprouts, cauliflower and broccoli (never had much success plus space) and jerusalem artichokes (I love them but I cannot be bothered with the washing, scrubbing and peeling as I am always so busy).
Chris

"You have seen but not observed whereas I both see and observe."

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCadYy6qr4IjVVsVT7zrCZag

glyn.c

• Joined Jan 2015
  • dunfries and galloway
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2016, 06:48:22 pm »
cut back a bit this year "trying to do less but better if that makes sense " in the GH 16x8 ish we are doing 5 types toms ,2 types cuc,melons gherkins and 4 types peppers and chillies and in the garden pots,garlic,shallots onions + kelsae onions,leeks, parsnips,celery "a first for us",red cabbage,cauli,calibresse,sprouts ,peas ,runner beans,broad beans ,french dwarf and climbing,pumpkin squash ,corgettes ,kale and kohl rabi and have a couple of permanent beds 1 asparagus ,1 strawbs and 1 soft fruit(black currants ,blueberries,gooseberry, red currant jostaberry and rasps) and a few apple, pear ,guage and damson trees oh and the cold frame leaves and lettuce

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2016, 12:38:18 am »
talking of damsons I have tons of trees in my fields, plus saplings too which I find are an annoyance to remove and plant elsewhere. We get tons off our trees every year, all go into jelly and nice it is too. Thanks for sharing everything guys, my plants are ready to go out and I have more on the way. Hrres hoping for a good year! :excited:
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2016, 01:07:04 am »
cut back a bit this year "trying to do less but better if that makes sense " in the GH 16x8 ish we are doing 5 types toms ,2 types cuc,melons gherkins and 4 types peppers and chillies and in the garden pots,garlic,shallots onions + kelsae onions,leeks, parsnips,celery "a first for us",red cabbage,cauli,calibresse,sprouts ,peas ,runner beans,broad beans ,french dwarf and climbing,pumpkin squash ,corgettes ,kale and kohl rabi and have a couple of permanent beds 1 asparagus ,1 strawbs and 1 soft fruit(black currants ,blueberries,gooseberry, red currant jostaberry and rasps) and a few apple, pear ,guage and damson trees oh and the cold frame leaves and lettuce

I daren't ask what it was like before you cut back a bit.  :roflanim:

Tomatoes plants now in greenhouse, kale in pots to grown on a bit, watercress in troughs, runner beans and beetroot hardening off for a few days. I've been given some onion sets and I'm wondering if it's a bit late to plant them. When do other folks plant theirs?

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2016, 08:17:06 am »
My sets went in 6 weeks ago rather than have them laying about in the barn.. but there's only an 1" leaf showing so you still have time to catch up.

I've got 150 sweetcorn hardening off, 2 trays f beans same of runners, tub of leek seedlings, already got 80 brassicas in the field and another 3 sowings germinating/growing on. Sowed carrots, outdoor s onions (3 sowings in greenhouse) and parsnips. I managed to give away my remaining geranums and some of the peppers and toms, repotted swiss chard seedlings. Toms and cues been in the borders a while.
..also growing way less in variety and quantity this year. Quinoa seeds to go in next week.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2016, 02:02:42 pm »
..and after last nights rain my first potato folaige is starting to appear as well as the first outside germinations of peas..

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2016, 03:13:01 pm »
A neighbour gave me some Russian kale plants last year, which were a success.  Stood very well through the winter, good flavour a bit like Spring greens, and are now in flower and much appreciated by the pigs.  I'm hoping she'll feel equally generous this year too.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2016, 12:56:26 am »
I have potatoes coming through YET AGAIN where I have never sown any and don't want any. I'm pulling up any growth as it appears but I want to put my kale plants in that bed and don't want them ruined by the spuds.

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2016, 09:48:34 pm »
Me too MGWM!

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2016, 08:41:26 am »
I too planned to cut back but I have been helping my elderly neighbour in her garden because her son has had heart surgery. I planted her 900 seed potatoes and found myself sowing her seed and planting out melons courgettes pumpkin cabbage etc. So I have been doing more work despite growing less myself. Oh she keeps telling me that we will share what is planted in her plot- bless her.
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2016, 09:34:42 am »
The long weekend enabled me to get the last things in the ground, so have got, first early spuds, garlic, beetroot, swede, carrot, onions, rocket, leeks, sweet corn, baby sweet corn, runners, French beans, broad beans, peas(loads!) and courgettes. Toms and cucs in the greenhouse. I'm going to have the Best fed slugs in devon

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2016, 12:34:48 pm »
I planted out my runner beans and the lambs keep getting in and nibbling, have to build some form of pen for the lambs before I go mad! Courgettes are out, toms are potted on as are the cucumbers, now sowing more toms and chili plants also sweet basil and more rocket. Going to be a busy year this one.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Q

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2016, 01:46:06 pm »
On Sunday  I was pleased to see that my first two Broad beans had broken the surface and were heading skywards.
I was in a pigeon killing mood yesterday when I found my broad beans had been nipped off at soil level!  :rant: 
If you cant beat 'em then at least bugger 'em about a bit.

CarolineJ

• Joined Dec 2015
  • North coast of Scotland
« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2016, 03:09:35 pm »
Something has eaten all my mixed salad leaves, probably slugs.  I actually have a load growing on the muck heap from tidying up the stuff that went to seed last year, but not sure I'd risk that even after a good wash!

Strawberries are doing well and flowering madly.  Spuds are through and have had their first earthing up.  Broad beans and peas have both got 4-6", the garlic's doing really well, the onions terribly and the rest only went in in the last fortnight, so too early to say, but hopefully I have leeks, brussels, parsnips, carrots, rocket and spring onions to look forward to.  Ran out of space, so no celeriac, calabrese or mustard leaf this year!

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2016, 03:10:27 pm »
On Sunday  I was pleased to see that my first two Broad beans had broken the surface and were heading skywards.
I was in a pigeon killing mood yesterday when I found my broad beans had been nipped off at soil level!  :rant:
And I have just the air rifle model in mind which would deal with that :innocent:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS