Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What a wonderful Feb surprise!  (Read 2065 times)

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
What a wonderful Feb surprise!
« on: February 13, 2016, 06:28:18 pm »
One of my friesland ewes has given birth to a single, male, I have named him Paul (no idea why just liked the name) :) The lambs will be Pedigree Torddu ( the lambs father) x friesland x Welsh ( interesting cross eh?)
The other one looks due to lamb in a day or two, their bags are big and so are their teats, so they should be no problem to milk. They must have been in lamb when we bought them, because I ran them with the ram in December, planning for them to lamb mid-end of summer, but now the milking will coincide with calf rearing  ::) Looks like a busy few months ahead. :tired:
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: What a wonderful Feb surprise!
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2016, 06:30:04 pm »
Photo please

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2016, 07:21:00 pm »
I'll try and add one tomoz, a bit dark atm
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2016, 09:29:54 am »
My Frieslands were always multiple lambers, the best I had one year from four ewes was quins, two sets of quads and triplets. The lambs were bottle fed after a few days and the ewes milked. The milk made wonderful butter, cheese, yoghurt and ice cream. The unwanted (that sounds harsh) lambs went for meat and though they were tasty they were big boned so meat to bone ratio was smaller.
I have to say that a single or even double lamber would have been sent away.
The good rams though were  desirable as terminal sires in those days (forty years ago) giving multiple lambing, milky ewes. now the more muscely breeds. Texel and the like are in fashion but Frieslands are well worth keeping!

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2016, 09:37:13 am »

Maureen

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2016, 11:28:07 am »
What a little treasure  :thumbsup:

waddy

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2016, 02:02:21 pm »
We need another cutest lamb competition!

:thumbsup: :love: :sheep:

Helen

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2016, 04:21:29 pm »
Wait till the Lleyn lambs come along they're the cutest little beasts you can see. :)

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2016, 07:17:41 pm »
So cute! !!!!!!!
4 pet sheep

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS