Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Rotovator size  (Read 2838 times)

Jaymac76

• Joined Jun 2012
Rotovator size
« on: February 13, 2016, 08:15:25 am »
Hi, just got myself a new tractor well new to me a 1989 ford 3910 and I am looking for a rotovator for it, what size would be best. The distance between the back wheels are approximately 6' would the rotovator need to be that length to cover the tyre tracks.

Scotsdumpy

• Joined Jul 2012
Re: Rotovator size
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2016, 09:05:13 am »
Weve got a howavrd rotovator which is smaller than the wheelbase but when it is working it is offset so it always rotovates one wheel. Someone more experienced will add a bit more Im sure!!

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2016, 10:58:04 am »
Can you hire one to start with?  When we started a new veg plot we did so and concluded that its ability to churn the clay soil into slurry with one pass meant it wasn't as effective as covering the soil with cardboard over Winter and letting the worms do the work for us.

Mickey

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2016, 10:13:40 am »
Interesting, I have a not so great area that I want to turn into an allotment.  I was thinking of getting a rotavator to kick start the land but have got one of the  Charles Dowding no-dig books for Christmas so will be giving that a go.  Unfortunately the land is not level at the moment so I can't report on any progress as it has been too wet to get the area levelled before I start.

http://www.charlesdowding.co.uk/ for more info on his suggested method.

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2016, 03:08:26 pm »
They used to rekon with rotavators you need one horse power per inch width of the rotavtor,

That's why as mentioned above you get offset ones of a narrow width to suit tractors of approx 45hp.

A 6ft one is 72 inch so roughly  70 horse power required,

That said I have seen and indeed used a 60 inch one on a mf135 at about 47hp so long as the land is not too heavy, you can compensate with very slow forward speed and not too deep. Make multiple passes if necessary.

What hp is a ford 3910 ?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 07:46:23 pm by stufe35 »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS