Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Where do you source new layers ?  (Read 7336 times)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Where do you source new layers ?
« on: February 12, 2016, 10:31:11 am »

Do you hatch your own - from your own eggs or bought in?  Buy them from the mart?  From a neighbour? Or do you buy them from one of the big breeders?

Are you pleased with your choice or still trying to find the perfect hen?
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Victorian Farmer

Re: Where do you source new layers ?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2016, 10:57:43 am »
It's not cost effected to produce hens .You need vaccinated stock and long lasting the onley one for you is    http://www.johnstonspoultry.com/sussex.html.          the very best hens and sell local to you .

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2016, 12:22:02 pm »
The worst batch of POL I ever bought were "fully vaccinated" from a big hatchery. They dropped like flies.

We buy ours from Craigievern Poultry http://www.craigievernpoultry.co.uk/. I buy 30 or 40 POL each spring and I get my day-old meat birds (Sassos this year) from Jane too.

Very happy with the quality and service.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2016, 02:23:28 pm »
I bought my latest 5 pullets from a big hatchery, nice leghorns bought about 8 weeks before they started laying at christmas. Fully vaccinated too. After buying from a farmer with unvaccinated stock and losing all 6 birds within 4 days of each other no more than a month after coming to live with me, I won't ever buy unvaccinated again.

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2016, 04:53:48 pm »
We've sourced our hens from every conceivable supplier and at prices from 2-30 pounds with varying degrees of success. Hatching our own resulted in all cockerels, expensive private purchases that look lovely but lay when they feel like it, ex caged birds which vary in quality but leave us feeling warm inside etc. To date our best buys was a cage of 6 pol warrens that my oh bought at market simply because no one else bid. They cost £2 each and 18 months on they are all going strong, laying like billy oh and to cap it all are just delightfully tame girls

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2016, 06:06:53 pm »
I buy mine off trusted suppliers, usually local breeders. Having said that though I bought two hens from the smallholders show in Builth and they were very good :) I suppose with markets it can be hit and miss, but even local breeders can sell bad stock.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2016, 06:43:16 pm »
I breed my own, I don't sell eggs for profit though. I would never buy in commercially reared, vaccinated PoL again.

tbh if I were to sell eggs in a meaningful way, I would buy in LF Minorca. Of all the pure breeds I've had, they've been far the best.

whats the perfect hen? for me, where I live its something hardy, that can fly a bit, forage well and with the common sense to go to bed at an early time.

ramon

• Joined Feb 2014
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2016, 08:47:47 pm »

whats the perfect hen? for me, where I live its something hardy, that can fly a bit, forage well and with the common sense to go to bed at an early time.
[/quote]

Agree totally with this and by selective pressure it is what I have. I breed my own from my own eggs. Non are vaccinated but they seem a hardy bunch and lay well.

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2016, 09:37:32 pm »

I know what you mean, my second oldest hen is a leghorn cross. Nicknamed "Wild Hen" - stays well away from people, flighty, never any bother and lays plenty more than any of the others. I think 'flies a bit' also corresponds nicely with 'eats less than heavy breeds'  ;)
But: boring white, medium sized eggs, never broody (because a light breed), no cuddles or feeding from my hand, so horses for courses.

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2016, 11:08:17 am »
I usually buy from local breeders/rearers or other TAS folk, mostly successfully tho one friend brought me 4 pols that were 2 white leghorn and 2 Menorcan (or so I surmised, the breeds he didn't know as he'd bought from the breeder without asking!!  And 3 of those were stupid, refusing to go in the coop, roosting in too low bushes rather than with the other outdoor roosting hens up in the Scots Pine, and the fox got 3 in one weekend when I was away.  The last hasn't laid since, and is a very light hen compared to all my various other breeds/hybrids, and despite being very flighty (probably what saved her) she is the one that can get in the cat hole and roosts on my kitchen surface/pan rack if not found and booted out at night!

Oh, I also bought a pen of 4 POL Copper Black Marans at Lanark mart 18 months ago and the 3 that I still have are really nice birds.  I'd tried many times to get Marans from TAS and locally with no success so just went overboard and bid which is something I enjoy but am probably best not doing too often!

I tried hatching with broodies here a few times but mostly without success in terms of getting POLs for free.  So am going to try rearing from day old next, if I sort out the practicalities and costs.  Other than that I'll go back to past sources for more when I need them.
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

mentalmilly

• Joined Nov 2012
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2016, 01:56:39 pm »
I had 6 day old sussex last year and put under a hen to bring up. Lovely birds laying at 22 weeks and have 3 hens and 3 cockerels but kept one. Not had vaccinated stock for a few years and my hens are all healthy.  I would put eggs from our local auction under a broody if l want to increase my stock, having said that its hit or miss with what you get.  The LF leghorn eggs turned out to be bantams and only 2 girls in them, but excellent layers and very friendly though flighty if the mood takes them.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2016, 09:02:43 am »
Many years ago I unwittingly bought in a vaccinated cockerel which promptly spread Marek's through my flock despite being quarantined.  Learned that lesson the hard way.  Now hatch my own and presently breed SIlver Grey Dorkings and Blue-, Buff- and Gold-Laced Wyandottes, and have a few Welsummers, Wheaten Marans as well as Welsummer x Legbar crosses which are laying olive eggs. Crossing gets over the slightly smaller size of the Legbar egg whilst retaining the ability to come into lay a few weeks earlier than most heavy fowl.  If anyone out there has a line of Speckled Sussex that are good layers I have a superb cockeral and I'd like to buy some eggs from you!  My last SS hens were poor layers but they're one of my favourite breeds.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2016, 03:33:42 pm »
Many years ago I unwittingly bought in a vaccinated cockerel which promptly spread Marek's through my flock despite being quarantined.  Learned that lesson the hard way.  Now hatch my own and presently breed SIlver Grey Dorkings and Blue-, Buff- and Gold-Laced Wyandottes, and have a few Welsummers, Wheaten Marans as well as Welsummer x Legbar crosses which are laying olive eggs. Crossing gets over the slightly smaller size of the Legbar egg whilst retaining the ability to come into lay a few weeks earlier than most heavy fowl.  If anyone out there has a line of Speckled Sussex that are good layers I have a superb cockeral and I'd like to buy some eggs from you!  My last SS hens were poor layers but they're one of my favourite breeds.
What colour are your welsummers eggs? Also will you have hatching eggs available from welsummer and gold laced wyandotte towards the end of summer?
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2016, 10:43:29 pm »
Worked out costs and POL are better value for us.  We buy ours from Cyril Bason fully vaccinated and have been delighted - cant quote on price just cant remember.  I wont buy from anyone and would never risk bringing in anyone elses hens onto my farm.  Be stung on ducks from market and other peoples dodgy breeding.  Personally I dont know any local breeders around here.

Never hatched my own - dont have a clue or the time.

The farm has a High Health Status and I feel I need to be assured what I bring on here.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2016, 11:38:59 am »
Lots of options then, and we each seem to have our favourite. Thanks for sharing  :thumbsup:

Another question then....if you mix vaccinated stock with unvaccinated, what happens.  I can't find the reply just now, but someone says above that vaccinated stock passed on Mareks  to their existing birds.
I bought some hens from a well known breeder so presumably vaccinated, but the rest are home bred and not vaccinated.  Is this a dodgy mix, and were I to buy more from a known breeder would I be putting my home bred hens at risk?  In sheep, I believe that if you introduce Orf-vaccinated animals in with non vaccinated, then you get Orf throughout your existing flock - does this apply to hen diseases?

I'm realising that although I grew up on a farm with very large numbers of poultry, and have kept hens here for 20 years, I actually know not a lot about keeping them on a small scale  ::).  I think that's often the case with backyard hens which are so widespread.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS