Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Missing ram!  (Read 3384 times)

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Missing ram!
« on: February 11, 2016, 01:03:48 pm »
Missing a pedigree Lleyn ram currently 3-3 1/2 years old, Aberaeron area. If anyone sees him please let me know!
Thanks
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Re: Missing ram!
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2016, 02:05:24 pm »
Don't worry, he's probably found a nice flock of somebody else's gimmers to hang out with  :o.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 02:17:02 pm »
That's what I am afraid of womble. I think he could have gotten out and some kind person put him somewhere else ::) I am just about to go around all the neighbouring farms now, with permission of course and ask all the farmers. I have his tag no and pictures, plus I would know him anywhere. I have already scoured the farm for him, alas nothing. :'(
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2016, 04:23:25 pm »
I'd put the word out by telephone first.  Sheep should be checked daily so neighbouring farmers should notice a ram, unless they also have Lleyns.  If we find a sheep on the road we always put it in the nearest (empty) gated field first then phone around.

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2016, 06:32:27 pm »
Hope you find him, have you tried some of the local smallholder facebook pages?

DartmoorLiz

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Devon
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2016, 07:13:06 pm »
Off topic a bit but we found a bull wandering down the road once and phoned a neighbour farmer who said he'd phone around.

Ended well but he scared the living daylights out of me when he ambled slowly towards me looking about as likely to change his mind as a slow moving lava wall.  I'm afraid I ran out of the way leaving someone else to invite him to consider the field full of clover over goring me.

Not sure a lleyn ram would invoke quite the same response, all the same, hope your ram comes home.
Never ever give up.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2016, 08:56:58 am »
Its ok I saw him in a friends field chasing a sheep, so I'm going to ask them if they can help me get him out.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2016, 06:09:17 pm »
I've found my ram and have gotten him back now :relief: I have locked him out of the field he escaped from and he is back with his flock. He won't be able to escape onto other land now as all the fields he has access to the fencing is secure and he doesn't jump (fences are too high anyhow). Looks like I have a fence to repair now, it was weak when I first started renting  the field and I repaired it, but i will have to replace it now.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2016, 07:04:36 pm »
Glad he's home and safe, good ending  :thumbsup:

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2016, 08:46:24 pm »
Thanks. You should have seen him when I brought him back to his own flock, he started to patrol the fences, but in the end followed his flock; I know I stopped him from having his fun, but it was for a good cause  ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS