Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: In a right mess!! Dead pig help!!  (Read 3335 times)

twisty

• Joined Oct 2015
In a right mess!! Dead pig help!!
« on: February 10, 2016, 07:58:37 pm »
So we're a very accidental smallholder in the respect that we never had pigs before.
Being novice pig keepers we researched everything from pens to feed. We did not wish to slaughter them at abbatoir we researched abbatoir needs a tag and an ema2 more the 40miles you cant transport yourself.
So we had a private slaughter (built a restraining pen, coaxed in with food only, stun gun and then bled immeadiately, instant and they didnt see it coming) only consumed by us.
We've slaughtered 2 pigs this way.
Our problem lies with the pig waste after the slaughter. We were told by both the licensed kennels we used and another farmer that they could either collect the waste or we could bring it to them ourselves for half the fee.
so with that advice we put them in a sealed box bundled it into the car and took it to be incinerated (bearing in mind we've now done this twice under their advice.)

To my horror we have been told by another small holder that they think that we were not allowed to do this??? They've said a commercial transport should have been used?

My question is who is right and who is wrong? This was a private slaughter non commercial for our own consumption. I have the incinerator receipts to prove where the waste was taken but what about the transport? Are we going to jail for a transport error under advisement??????

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
Re: In a right mess!! Dead pig help!!
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2016, 03:54:01 pm »
To carry waste as part of a business you need a waste transfer licence, which is very easily obtained online. If you can satisfy that your waste is not resulting from business use I don't see that you have a problem.

twisty

• Joined Oct 2015
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 04:38:53 pm »
To carry waste as part of a business you need a waste transfer licence, which is very easily obtained online. If you can satisfy that your waste is not resulting from business use I don't see that you have a problem.

We are not a business, the meat was not sold or distributed and our holding is not commercial. I think we should be ok then thank you . The advice and legislation can be quite a minefield for novices.  :)

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2016, 11:23:42 pm »
Disposal of the waste bits comes under the Animal By-products Regulations 2005.

As pigs do not suffer from TSE (BSE in cattle and Scrapie in sheep/goats) there is no risk of disease from brain and spinal cord, so these do not need ‘special’ disposal under EU TSE Regulation (EC) No. 999/2001 (Note: if you home slaughter sheep, goats or cattle – this is a different matter)

However you must still dispose of the waste properly (you cannot just chuck it in the bin or bury it).

If you are
•   the owner of the animal, and
•   consumption is for you or the members of your immediate family living in the same household,
•   and you are  transporting the ‘waste’ in your own vehicle
then clearly this is a private matter, and no ‘waste carrier’ permit is required.   

So you can take to a hunt kennels, who will have a licence to dispose of.  They typically don’t feed to hounds, but have an incinerator and will give you paperwork. 

Hunt Kennels and licenced knackermen can also collect.

In other circumstances you might need to argue that you are disposing in a private capacity – just as taking the mother-in-law’s old sofa to the tip might be deemed commercial as it is not yours.  Highly unlikely that anyone would ever be done for that, but the regs could theoretically deem you as a waste transporter – you get my drift !

The Food Standards Agency deliberately (in my view!) keep the guidance vague as they don’t like home slaughter, and the following ‘guidance’ tries to put you off, and is actually misleading/wrong in places, but if you are looking at home kill, it is worth a read.

This is for England, google for Scottish and Welsh verions !

https://www.food.gov.uk/sites/default/files/home-killguide.pdf

So Twisty – I see nothing wrong with what you are doing.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 11:26:51 pm by oaklandspigs »
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2016, 06:42:07 pm »
You had "left overs" from a pig ..............

twisty

• Joined Oct 2015
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2016, 04:18:04 pm »
So the update!!! Called up the local authority explained and a very nice rep popped down. Confirmed everything was ok and the fact we had kept the receipts was bang on. Much exhaling!!!!!  :excited:

Re: pig leftovers,

Ok you've got me what in heavens name do you do with the head spine etc so as not to have leftovers????????

You had "left overs" from a pig ..............

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2016, 12:27:34 pm »
Brawn from the heads, trotters and spine, sausage/black pudding skins from the intestines, haggis/ dog food from the lights. Someone, I can't tell you who, wrote a book about it (can't remember the name of the book either) there was nothing left but the "oink"

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2016, 10:11:50 am »
my dogs had the pigs heads, and all that was eventually left was the teeth. mind you it did wear the dogs teeth down but they loved it.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS