Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hello from the Carse of Gowrie  (Read 2847 times)

Guardswellfarm

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Carse of Gowrie
    • Facebook
Hello from the Carse of Gowrie
« on: February 09, 2016, 10:32:30 pm »
Hello!!!

The Accidental Smallholder has been an absolutely fabulous source of information over the last few years, and we figured it was about time we said hello!

We are a grassland farm near Abernyte with exciting plans afoot- the steadings are being converted into a multipurpose venue and cookery school- and we're also building a few nordic style huts around the farm to welcome nature lovers, star gazers and "go-slowers". But mainly we're excited about adding to the farm in more diverse ways... orchard, more trees (everywhere), geese, more pigs (the last went away a year ago), and generally keen to try anything that sparks our interest- so if anyone has any funky suggestions- fire away!!! We've had a wee break from all things smallholding due to unforeseen circumstances- so excited to get our teeth stuck back in and get the incubator plugged in again!!! Generally trying to increase the biodiversity of the farm- out with the improved grass and in with the species rich grassland/wildflower meadows!

Looking forward to reading more on the site and getting excited about the future at Guardswell.

Accidental Smallholder- Thank you for all of your fantastic advice!!
Anna/Guardswell Farm

P.s. does anyone have any knowledge of Donkeys as predator guards for pastured hens?

sidlaw

• Joined Jun 2015
  • Angus
Re: Hello from the Carse of Gowrie
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2016, 03:55:54 pm »
Hello

I know exactly where you are - it's a lovely spot!

Good luck with all your plans. :wave:

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 05:29:47 pm »
Welcome to the site!  :wave:
There is a Scottish donkey society and the founders are based north of Dundee.
http://www.scottishdonkeys.co.uk/  They might be able to answer your donkey questions? Good luck with your plans!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2016, 09:40:34 pm »
Hello and welcome :wave:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2016, 11:05:12 pm »
 :wave: and welcome from sunny Shropshire.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2016, 07:47:16 am »
Great spot for you Anna, I'm from Dundee but live in the Borders now, Abernyte was always called Gold Country as far as I remember.

Geese are brilliant house guards - ours free range 24/7, we never house them (never bothered with predators either) but we know their laying spots (they only do it for about an 8 week period), also I have a lovely breeding couple I should really get on the market place section to sell as we have too many if your interested.....

Good luck to you with your new venture, nice place to do it.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2016, 07:49:31 am »
P.S.

Just remembered there was a herbery and cookery school down at Errol (right next to the motor way) once upon a time we went to when I was an architecture student (they pretended they were clients) think it was Scotherbs, long time ago now, don't know if they are still there.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Carse Goodlifers

• Joined Oct 2013
  • Perthshire
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2016, 04:42:57 pm »
 :wave: & welcome........neighbour.
We (as the crow flies) are half a mile of so down the hill from you  ;D

You are in a cracking spot with some cracking views too.
Looking forward to your posts and updates.

Guardswellfarm

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Carse of Gowrie
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2016, 09:00:06 am »
Clearly so super new to this concept...!!! I didn't realise anyone had replied! What a lovely surprise.

All going super well on the farm at the moment- the woodland trust have been wonderful, and as part of our biodiversity action plan (and under a few farming plans) we have just planted 10,000 trees- a mixture of edible hedgerows, wildlife corridors, silvopasture and wood fuel.

Hoping to pick up 6 weaners next week to get back into the swing of livestock. Lambs all looking large and happy, and have just been moved off the hill to let the grass grow a little.

Incubator is coming out of hibernation too!! Yipee!!!

Off to Thainstone this weekend to the Rare breeds sale and show- anyone else?!?!

Sorry for being quite so useless!!! So lovely to say hello to everyone.

Goosepimple- that is so so funny!!!! That was my grandmother, my mother and aunties! The Buttery. I don't have any memories of it, but apparently i just lay in my pram in the garden for the majority of the time. It sounds idyllic- and the menus that my mum often recites sound delicious!!!  My grandparents still live on the farm, and my grandfather now grows various herbs and vegetables in the greenhouses- he sells a few of them in Grewars Farm Shop and Frasers :)

Carse Goodlifers and Sidlaw- come up and say hello!!!! We're there most days- its a bit of a building site at the moment, but like you say- still got good views.

Thank you so much for the Donkey information- i will definitely give them a shout 

:cow:

Dan

• Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2016, 12:36:25 pm »
Nice to see you back.  :)

Clearly so super new to this concept...!!! I didn't realise anyone had replied! What a lovely surprise.

It's not very obvious but if you want to receive email notification when a topic is replied to, click the 'NOTIFY' button at the top of any topic page.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS