Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: poultry house flooring  (Read 2172 times)

Ben94

• Joined Jan 2016
poultry house flooring
« on: February 09, 2016, 09:07:07 pm »
hi Guys

Im getting around 100 chickens soon anyone got any ideas for a good solution for the floor in the shed?

the shed will be mobile but raised off the ground abit. ive found these but are they worth the money? http://www.daltonengineering.co.uk/nests-slats/jansen-slat-1200-x-575mm.html

thanks

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
Re: poultry house flooring
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2016, 11:11:00 pm »
we have an egg mobile built to spec on trailer chassis.  Just used timber 2x1 thick with half inch gap for poo to escape.  Problem is where they perch there is a big build up and where the wheel arch is also poo heaven. Wanted natural flooring not sure the slats comply with SA or good for standing on for long periods. Just seems expensive when a good wood floor does the trick.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 11:34:53 am »
Smooth ply floor, proper creosote, thin plastic sheet weighted with bricks, shavings on top.  Can lift the bricks to check for red mite, slide out the sheet, shake the shavings onto the muck heap and replace.

Q

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2016, 02:27:23 pm »
I have lino on my chicken shed floor.  Agree with above - its easy to slide out and empty the contents on the compost heap but also the red mite tend to congregate just under the edges where its easy to get at the little buggers with a blowtorch.
If you cant beat 'em then at least bugger 'em about a bit.

Ben94

• Joined Jan 2016
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2016, 05:36:39 pm »
Thanks for the replys guys any one used straw before and had any problems?

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2016, 09:50:27 pm »
I use straw. Makes great compost. They love looking for grains when I put fresh down.  Never had any problems, but be sure it is as clean and dust free as possible and don't shake it out while they're in the house.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS