Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Help - ideas please - mud everywhere  (Read 3253 times)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Help - ideas please - mud everywhere
« on: February 09, 2016, 07:32:13 pm »
Anyone got a cheap (has to be - I'm a pensioner with no savings) and relatively easy solution to the following:

Grass spongy with the wet - low lying garden - water table high - sixth of an acre approx - mud everywhere - four dogs that run in it and bring their muddy feet back in with them.

I have towels down in the conservatory - they need changing twice sometimes three times a day. That means my washing machine on the same number of times - can't dry them outside so the tumble dryer is on too.  Doesn't take it all off so the kitchen floor is always mucky too.

My son suggested 10 tons of pea gravel but I'm not sure I can afford that, plus the labour and probably terram too. (cheapest I can work out is about £1000 which I don't have) 

Is there any other way?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
Re: Help - ideas please - mud everywhere
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2016, 07:53:54 pm »
Hasn't it been a dreadful winter for mud? We've just moved and I went to the extent of installing a dog bath and a warm show.er in the stable - its worth its weight in gold.  Previously I hosed them down with cold water but had to hold them with one hand whilst doing it which kills my back.  With the warm water they actually enjoy the shower and hold still themselves. They then jump onto a table for me to fry them off without bending down, and dry off in the utility where it doesn't matter if the remains of the mud come off.  Could you maybe have a warm shower outside and then wrap them in towelling onesies in the conservatory until dry?
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

AnnS

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2016, 08:02:04 pm »
We're the same mud is driving me mad. Instead of towels on the floor though I've got a huge bit of vetbed down, fairly quick to wash and dry.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2016, 08:41:10 pm »
Thanks for the ideas,  :thumbsup: 

I don't have water outside - except a cold outside tap - I don't have the strength to hold them and they'd scream the neighbourhood down  :innocent:

I use vetbed in their beds, as you say, easy washed and dried, but the conservatory is 4 meters long - a big double sheet and towels is actually easier than vet bed for that.

Just wish I could do something outside to stop them getting muddy - they have to have baths for dog shows anyway - but that's inside.

Maybe I just have to grin and bear it like everyone else till spring and summer arrive  :eyelashes:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Factotum

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2016, 08:41:56 pm »

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2016, 08:46:20 pm »
Boots?  See: http://www.k9active.co.uk/natural-rubber-dog-boots-by-pawz/

Sue
Like the idea but I once put a boot on Allez for a sore paw - he literally stood rooted for about 2 hours - I deliberately left him to see what he'd do - he did not move!  The girls would have them off in seconds.  they spend a lot of time running around in the back yard, chasing birds and squirrels and watching duck and hen TV  :innocent:

nutterly_uts

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Jersey - for now :)
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2016, 10:04:51 pm »
You could get a set of the cheap overalls from amazon for them [url=http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=cosipet&tag=googhydr-21&index=pets&hvadid=47979487436&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=17600498159183171399&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_5155sbc122_e]http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=cosipet&tag=googhydr-21&index=pets&hvadid=47979487436&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=17600498159183171399&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_5155sbc122_e[/url] which won't be loved at first but they do get used to pretty quickly - this means you'd only need to wipe down paws and heads and a tiny bit of belly/back end. You can get pricier (better fitting) ones if you found they were the solution.

Otherwise, what about the thick matting you can get to protect grass for parking? It won't stop the mud but would hopefully lift them all up a bit out of the worst of it?

If its just a muddy paw problem, what about a paw washer? http://www.easyanimal.co.uk/paw-plunger.html#.VrpiJ1KN2rs - you'd still need to dry feet but towels would be cleaner and last longer :)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2016, 10:59:49 pm »
The pea shingle really does make a difference; it's a lot cheaper by the tonne than in the bags ;)

Best indoor surface for leaving them to dry off naturally? - coconut matting.  Doesn't need washing either, just take it outside and shake it.  Otherwise I'd use carpet tiles on rotation - again, shake and beat outside once dry to get the mud off.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2016, 02:18:41 pm »
Lots of very helpful suggestions there folks, many thanks.  :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS