Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: update  (Read 7803 times)

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
update
« on: February 07, 2016, 10:13:32 am »
toms, cu's, etc for the greenhouse sown indoors in modules. Seeds for the tubs and baskets in hand..soem sown. 10 new fruit trees in but i found another corner that's good for 4 more when I'm next in town.
The new monkey puzzle 'forest' has been staked out (had to work out a way to top between them etc) and the first 4 planted out on the hill ( will be 20+ in all so my successors will have heaps of edible seeds). 3 sweet chestnut going in today.. germinated from left-over xmas nuts 2 years ago.
Veggie patch just so way soggy to be able to work it this winter so it'll be a rush once the weather dries off a bit.
Stored spuds are showing first signs of self chitting and a few of the stored onions have early shoots.
Spring onion and mixed lettuce to go as baby leaves in greenhouse border imminently. darn - forgot to put up any courgette...

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: update
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2016, 10:39:30 am »
Do you really sow your courgettes now?  I don't sow mine until a month before the last frost, so May 1st.  When do yours start cropping from such an early sowing?  Do you grow them under cover or outdoors?  Well done with all the trees.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2016, 12:43:53 pm »
I myself tried to sow tomatoes in Feb, but they were sickly and never grew that big; I ended up composting the lot and resowing in march-April instead. I( don't sow courgettes until April at the earliest. The only plants i sow now are maungtout, sugarsnap peas and rocket which grow well, I grow them near to radiators in the house and they grow perfectly.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2016, 12:48:51 pm »
first lot of courgettes go in greenhouse border before toms big enough to be interferred.. then get ripped out when the field courgettes start to show first fruit signs.
Todays trees are in ... my handy-pandys are cold..
found 2 tiny seedlings in my nut pot.. dunno what they are yet.. I stuck a mix of cob, sweet chest and almonds in there (I reckon some nuts/ seeds get treated to prevent germination).. only the s-c came up first and fast...

I'm still waiting on my 60 million lottery win to build a brazil nut growing environment... not sure £60 mill would be enough....

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2016, 12:56:45 pm »
If it doesn't work out I start over.. it's only a few seeds BUT we built a good sun room onto the sitting room 18x12 feet'ish south facing with roof lights, windows 3 sides and open with the other room. With the temps my OH considers comfortable stuff grows fast. Within a  month there'll be 25feet of windowsill covered in trays
My peas get sown direct into ground now. I did do modules one year...a hundred with 4 peas each but it was hardly half a row when planted out.. :eyelashes:

Q

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2016, 01:03:04 pm »
I find stuff germinates well at this time of the year but with poor daylight just tends to get to leggy.  I have cucumbers on the go but already looking spindly.

With the trees, I am planning ahead - I found some Norway spruce Xmas trees in the cheap shop - about 4-6 inches tall for 50p each. 
Bought 5 for Xmas tree usage in 2020-2024 !!

If you cant beat 'em then at least bugger 'em about a bit.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2016, 04:54:24 pm »
My old dad once thought he'd grow fir trees.
First he had a friend send him a pound of seeds... 3 germinated..and then died.
Next time he had a contact that sent him a bundle of germinated seedlings...some several hundred 1" seedlings mashed into a large ball of mud (or that's what it looked like to my youngster eyes at the time). He ended up losing all those too and gave up.
But then my old man wasn't much of a gardener. his greatest claim to fame was planting out all the cuttings a neighbour had left by the back door - And mum had to go recover the spring greens!

I used to buy cheap packs of conifers in the spring as part of the window box display when we lived/worked in town. Then pot them on as patio conifers until they got too big and ended up outside restaurant front doors. We actually brought the last lot with us when we bought this farm and they now have their libertly in a corner of home field.

yeah, seedlings can go leggy.. then it's the gamble of putting them (cooler) in greenhouse and hoping they don't get frosted. I do have the citrus house which is kept frost free but is a tad crowded over winter.

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2016, 10:09:15 pm »
I still have two capsicums in th glasshouse without fruits growing from last year. They did take a bit of a shock the night the temp dropped to minus four o C outside but I'd  prepped things beforehand so I had a nine inch long three inch dia  candle made for scrap wax burning from the mid after noon before the forecast frost till two days later .
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2016, 05:59:42 pm »
Since self toms and pumpkins do better than mine from seed I have had a re think about starting seeds under glass. Long and warm growing season here so I plant all other veg direct into ground and will buy cheap peppers courgettes and toms from car boot or markets. Nothing worse than having your seedlings under glass and doing well but then frying the only time you go out for the day.

www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2016, 08:16:17 am »
14 of the first tranch of 18 monkey puzzles now on the hill. I found 4 decent sweetchestnut trees to plant out .. another 2 are a bit small and still potted. the stone fruit espalier section still needs some repair work.. perhaps if the forcast sun happens next week...
..some seeds germinated and may have to take their chances in the cold greenhouse to avodi them going leggy but it looks like we're heading for a week or two of frost.

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2016, 10:27:48 pm »
Took various germinated veg tubes out the heated UV bed on Friday and put them on the glasshouse bed that's got 15 oC of heat under the sand layer .  It should be fairly safe from any frosts so long as the plants are on the heated bed.

I had a look at them today .. all appear to have made it so far some nice green shoots/tops showing .
I need to crack on sowing a few more seeds this Monday & Tuesday as I may well be in hospital getting a new left knee come Sunday or Monday if all goes well .
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 08:58:58 pm by cloddopper »
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2016, 08:51:49 am »
Finally after a few dryish days and 2 heavy frosts sumlimating the water away it was dry enough to plough my veggie patch (i missed the window in the autumn). I'd sprayed it down in autumn so not a case of having to wait for surface weeds etc turned under to rot.. just a  case of loosening in all up. Now waiting for a dryish spell in a few weels to disc it all down....

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2016, 12:17:48 pm »
Life sounds so easy when you use chemicals, but I refuse to give in  :sunshine:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2016, 03:09:26 pm »
Sadly age takes a toll and double digging, hand weeding a quarter acre would be beyond me now. You could make similar arguments against the use of engne powered polluting help too...

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2016, 11:33:16 am »
The first tranch of jalopenos didn't survive 2 frosty nights in the greenhouse - so re sown. My few bedding plant seedlings and first sowing of toms seem to have coped OK. Second tom sowing and peppers, courgettes, cues all still indoors and doing well.. many should go out to glasshouse end of this week. The first 50 sweetcorn have germinated too. And 20 broad beans up. Brassicas sown indoors as well.

I'm planning on starting to rotorvate today for spud planting... mostly 'cos I have to have some minor surgery end of the week and won't be able to get my arms into the mud for a couple of weeks after

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS