Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Dyeing  (Read 3501 times)

Mickey

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Dyeing
« on: February 06, 2016, 11:11:04 pm »
I've just seen some sheep going through the mart and wondered how they were dyed, is it through a sheep dip  or some other process?

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
Re: Dyeing
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2016, 09:08:43 am »
What colour were they? Sheep are usually spot-on'd nowadays rather than dipped. What is the soil around you? Sheep tend to be a reddish colour around here because of our red soil.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2016, 09:26:21 am »
Different breeds are coloured up for the sales sometimes. Usually pedigree sales but some people colour up for everyday sales. Makes the sheep stand out! You noticed! You buy the colour and apply it. I do a similar thing with my hair so you don't notice the grey bits!Mind you nobody bought me yet!  ::)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2016, 10:14:26 am »
Dipped in a purl dip for sale, colours from grey through yellow to orange, red for Herdwicks.  Pure fashion ;)

It's unusual to see them coloured at this time of year, though; normally they're dipped in the summer/early autumn for the breeding sales.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2016, 12:41:44 pm »
The ones at sheep sales and ram sales smell strongly of dip, plus they're orange into the bargain. Isn't that a bit risky though when you have non farmers petting the dyed sheep and letting their kids pet them too?
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Mickey

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2016, 01:14:59 pm »
Thanks everyone,
Mickey

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2016, 08:29:04 pm »
We still plunge dip everything in the back end, as do all the other farms in our valley.

Our lambs would be coloured in the dipper, but tups or any ewes would be sprayed with a knapsack sprayer.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2016, 12:25:37 am »
The ones at sheep sales and ram sales smell strongly of dip, plus they're orange into the bargain. Isn't that a bit risky though when you have non farmers petting the dyed sheep and letting their kids pet them too?

Hereabouts, no-one should be in the livestock pens who hasn't business to be there - so buyers, sellers and mart staff only.  Members of the public who aren't buying sheep shouldn't be wandering around there at all, and certainly not with kids with them!  Buyers may get up close and personal with sheep they are thinking of buying - but should know what they are doing and any health risks involved.  No-one should be 'petting the sheep' and most definitely not allowing children to.

Having said which, I guess that even up here, it's different at a rare breeds' sale - there are a lot more non-farming folk at such sales, and they do wander about the pens.  It'll get stopped when someone gets orf  ::)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2016, 09:37:55 am »
Colouring seems to me to be a ridiculous tradition.  I'd be happy to see a no-trim and no-colouring policy at all ram sales.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2016, 12:30:43 pm »
Hill rams are often sprayed orange just before tupping , so that they can be seen from a distance among same breed ewes .

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS