Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Curing salts shelf life?  (Read 2788 times)

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
Curing salts shelf life?
« on: February 06, 2016, 07:05:02 pm »
I have the salami dry cure salt mix from Weschenfelder - however they send them out in 1kg bags and you only need 28g/kg meat so I have loads left. The cure says it has an expiration date of Aug 2015 - but if its just salts (normal salt plus appropriate ration of nitrite/nitrates) what is there to go 'off'?
I have asked the question of Weschenfelder but wondered if anyone on here knows if they would be ok to use?
Thanks

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
Re: Curing salts shelf life?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2016, 10:04:02 am »
Expiry dates are a legal label requirement and for something like this has no relationship to any deterioration. I am an analytical chemist and used to set dates for products based on shelf life testing but for something as stable as this it is usual just to go for 3 or 5 years, really to allow for poor packaging, contamination if it is opened many times. So as long as you have kept it well packaged should be ok for some time.

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
Re: Curing salts shelf life?
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2016, 11:25:19 am »
But that of course is for your own use. If you are selling any products then I suspect you will fall foul of some food standards legislation if you use out of date salts whatever the chemistry.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS