Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: PE generation , day & night rate meters  (Read 2284 times)

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
PE generation , day & night rate meters
« on: February 06, 2016, 02:55:59 am »
Now we have the Mitsubishi Outlander  PEV for our mode of transport , the fixed four hour charger wired via a time clock if we want to use it on low rate . Along with a high efficiency dishwasher , fridge type high efficiency cool air  condensing dryer and high economy large drum washing machine that can each be programmed to a 24 hr time clock setting .

We have made the  unnerving choice to change suppliers to a much lower tariff one  and put everything on the night rate that we can . Including me putting the chest freezer on  15 min on 15 min off during full peak rate via a mechanical time clock .

We can now  try and take full advantage of any sunshine and hopefully reduce our costs considerably by the use of the night rate usage .

Has anyone else gone down this path ? If so how has it worked out after a year . The other thing is can anyone see any pitfalls we'll  have to overcome  doing it this way ?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 02:45:50 pm by cloddopper »
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
Re: PE generation , day & night rate meters
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2016, 08:45:32 pm »
I am just happy that it doesnt matter if turn all the shed lights off in the daytime anymore cos its paid for by the panels ;)

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
Re: PE generation , day & night rate meters
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2016, 10:01:04 pm »
We we talking about that earlier today during one of th light , heavy sleet  or hail showers ( take your pick we've had them all today ) .

Al my wife said, " That's OK so long as the sun is shining , but I'd rather let the power  drive the pond pump than shine light on the spiders in the garage"   .

Which made me realise that I can get a cheap night rate on the pond pump/filter system if I use a 15 min on 30 min off time clock setting for the night rate. as well as the day supply .  Seeing as I have one brand new unused spare 7day , 27/7 , 6 event  hard wireable central heating time clock it seems a worthwhile punt .

Does any one know how well these cheapish Blagdon pond pumps handle  regular on off switchings?  Do they run well or do they jam because of wear in the ceramic bearings and inactivity making it difficult to restart them ?
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS