Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Advice wanted  (Read 3108 times)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Advice wanted
« on: February 05, 2016, 12:01:27 pm »
It's looking likely that Caldi is in kid (first time) and her due date would be 14th June. No problem so far.

Just had my mum on the phone. It's a long story but, briefly, she lost her partner last December and now wants to arrange a short break for the family - brothers, me and partners - in one of these Warners Hotels. Not our cup of tea but it's only four days and we can cope with that. We have to go in school holidays as one SIL is a school secretary. They have all decided that it's going to be the Whit week. This is two weeks before the 14th June. Bearing in mind that my mum is 85 and we might not get another chance, how safe is it for me to leave Caldi that close? Someone will be coming in twice a day for feeding and to milk Pom and I have a neighbour who can see them from her house and can let me know if there seems to be a problem. Depending on the hotel, I will be no more than two hours away.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
Re: Advice wanted
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2016, 12:17:12 pm »
Two weeks away I would not worry as long as those checking her know the symptoms of twin lamb disease.

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2016, 12:39:45 pm »
I understand your dilemma MGW. My bil has booked for us all to go to Paris next year for the mil's 80th no discussion or consultation. At that point we will be lambing and for the first time kidding. I have just said no, too much to do but poor old collette feels really bad about it. Obviously she will go but feels that she is letting me down. Im sure that the goat will be ok and as you say,  you are only a couple of hours away.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2016, 01:07:44 pm »
Having just kidded a group of goats where three out of a group of five did develop pregnancy toxaemia in the third week before kidding I would be very cautious. (One kidded with quads, one had triplets and it looks as if the third one - she recovered her appetite quite quickly - will not kid at all... but that is mystery that may be investigated soon)

I would therefore (and with hindsight as to what happened here) a) see if you get her scanned, so you know how many kids you are dealing with in advance. You can then think about any specific management issues well beforehand. b) Is there a fellow goatkeeper who can get there quicker than you in case of problems? By that I mean 1st time she doesn't eat her concentrate ration for example and is able to drench with prop glyc and/or give Calcium?

She may be perfectly alright, but I would not be able to enjoy any time away that close to kidding...

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2016, 06:01:33 pm »
That's what worries me. I do have a friend who lives close by and who is an experienced goat-keeper, albeit a long time ago so I think I'll ask her if she can pop in twice a day between the other two visits.

Thanks for the responses. I do want to be able to say yes because my mother has  been on at me for years to 'get rid of those goats'. She told me fairly recently not to let them have any more babies, despite the fact that it is necessary for milk production. She's the reason I have my forum name (every time I mentioned having goats she said, "You must be mad.") Since I have been disabled, she can't understand why I still have them, especially as I now have to have help with all their care. I know you guys do understand.  :hug: Love you all xx

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2016, 08:43:44 pm »
your more than welcome to have my number, we are about 1/2 hr from Telford and as long s we aren't away I'd happily pop over if your friend needed a second opinion. Kidding/ injecting no problem  :goat:

Planning time away is a nightmare with livestock....

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2016, 11:38:53 pm »
Sbom, you are a star. I have asked my friend, who lives closer if she can also check. Just waiting for her to get back to me. It would be useful to have someone else that the carers could call on as well. Can you pm me your number, please? :bouquet:

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2016, 09:04:12 am »
Understand the dilemma.

It's my MIL's 90th on 12th March and there's a big family get together  in Aberdeen.

She lived in South Wales her whole life till last year.  I've just said no way.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2016, 04:46:30 pm »
It certainly is. My mother keeps reminding me that she is nearly 86 (not for another six months) and it might be the last chance for us all to be together. She'll travel to the hotel with one of my brothers and then come to us for a few weeks. Hmmm, wonder what her midwifery skills are like.  :innocent:

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2016, 08:34:21 pm »
Just got back from Cuba with 4 weeks gap before kidding. Managed to arrange good back up and back up to the back up while we were away for the 10 days.  I think they look forward to me going away so they can all get round here and take over.  It's a tricky one but I felt with a month to go the off spring aren't viable so if there are any issues it is call the vet and save the goat.......

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2016, 12:14:15 am »
I think I've covered now, providing my usual goat sitters are available. They will be in night and morning for feeding and milking, another friend (former goat keeper) will pop in during the day, Sbom has given me her phone number and will be able to dash here if needed and we have a very good vet who is experienced with goats.Oh and my neighbour who will watch from her window. Phew! I can tell my mum that we can go and thereby avoid World War III.

The worst of it is that we don't like the sort of holiday she is booking, but she is paying so it is her choice - post hotel, part board with evening entertainment. Personally, I'd rather be self catering so I can eat when and what I choose and spend the evening with a good book or catching up with TAS. Still it will be good to spend a bit of time with my brothers and their wives. I'll still worry about Caldi but not so much. And it's only four days. We can cope with that.

Beeducked

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2016, 03:15:27 pm »
Glad you're going to be able to make it even if the timing isn't perfect. Nice to be able to spend time with your family. I'm so glad she seems to have taken.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS