Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Gone Painting  (Read 4691 times)

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
Gone Painting
« on: February 05, 2016, 09:54:26 am »
Have been away from TAS for ages (maybe a couple of years?) as my life took a tangent and my head was in a different place, still smallholding though!  After having been an architect for years and then teaching it, I decided I would try and make a living from painting, am not quite at that point yet but getting there and selling well.  Check out the website please, many thanks.     

www.amandaphillips.co.uk    or on Facebook     Amanda Phillips Artist
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
Re: Gone Painting
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2016, 10:15:02 am »
You are very talented, love them x

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2016, 11:13:20 am »
Beautiful, evocative images. I wish you every success!

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2016, 12:45:51 pm »
Fantastic.  Beautiful evocative images. Best of luck

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2016, 03:06:32 pm »
They are brilliant, I especially love the way you have used the color to emphasize the landscape. I especially like this one http://www.amandaphillips.co.uk/work/#/hill-grazing-dods-farm/ The way the light touches the hills is brilliant, how did you do it?
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2016, 08:12:18 pm »
Thank you all, your kind comments should help me get back in the studio next week as my head's been in DIY since Christmas.
Most of the paintings are done from photos and sometimes sketches I make at the time (if the weather's fine).  I just started a year ago painting full time (more or less) and it's surprised me how well it's gone - what's amazed me most is that there are people out there with money to spend on art!!!! When did we ever have money to spend on a painting I ask!!! Not even pre-kids!

Thanks for looking x
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2016, 11:43:51 pm »
Amazing talent. My favourites are the tiny cottage one and the boats. I still can't afford to buy paintings  :(  or I would be after them.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2016, 02:34:55 pm »
Thanks Mads, if I get prints done in the future I'll throw one your way x

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2016, 12:17:22 am »
Yes, please. I have an old school friend who is a talented artist. She has recently started working in different mediums, including fabric, and I admired one picture that she posted on Facebook and asked the price. When I got over the shock, I realised it was not a print I was looking at but, bless her, she had a print made for me. Just got to get it framed now.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2016, 10:39:20 am »
Yes, framing through a proper picture framers can be quite expensive, but the look and weight of it is better than a b&q frame.  Pricey though.  Galleries also take big commissions, the lowest one I have out of the galleries I use is 35%+vat so it's 42% in total.  When I add that on and the framing price, the resulting price can be quite shocking.  Sometimes I've barely broken even, the galleries certainly make as much as the artist even if it's only on their wall for a few hours.  I did have a big painting I did that didn't even make it to the wall - one of the staff bought it but I still had to pay the commission.  At the moment it's as difficult as making money from smallholding!

We've got a little kiln house building at the front of our property here we're renovating at the moment and hopefully that will be a wee gallery where people can buy direct from me, much cheaper.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2016, 12:35:13 am »
Your own gallery sounds like a good idea. That's an awful lot of money you are paying out in commission. Do you ever do craft fairs and the like? Have you thought of having postcards made of your paintings? Or cards? I think they could be popular.

I haven't found out yet how much my picture will cost to frame but it's an unusual size so will have to be a made to measure frame. I did have a small poster mounted last year and that cost me £14 which I thought was pretty good. It was a double mount and it did set it off nicely.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2016, 10:06:07 am »
Thanks Mads.  Yes, cards and fairs all happening and a couple of galleries taking me on to 'nurture' me (means they get the paintings first really), all galleries commissions are high - usually 40-50%.  I do get a lot of commissions though and the payment comes straight to me.  I like those!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2016, 12:14:06 am »
Commissions are a good way to go.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2016, 07:43:50 pm »
Very nice Amanda. I am jealous as I would love to be able to paint. I am sure yours will sell well
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2016, 10:39:26 am »
Thanks Bionic, glad to see you and Mads still on the forum, a few people seem to have disappeared ...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS