Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: large haylage bales  (Read 3618 times)

mebnandtrn

• Joined Mar 2014
  • lower whitley
large haylage bales
« on: February 04, 2016, 05:43:53 pm »
A local farmer gave us 2 large round haylage bales for free. Having opened the first one the haylage is so hard packed its impossible to get it apart. Is there a technique to get the haylage out, because at the moment its an absolute nightmare!

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: large haylage bales
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2016, 06:33:30 pm »
A local farmer gave us 2 large round haylage bales for free. Having opened the first one the haylage is so hard packed its impossible to get it apart. Is there a technique to get the haylage out, because at the moment its an absolute nightmare!

Not sure what you mean by "out". Once you take off the wrap and netting you should be able to make a start and keep going around it.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2016, 06:34:41 pm »
Hmmyou should be able to find an end and start rolling it off, is it nice stuff otherwise?

We use yard one on it s side, so much easier I think, one you hit the centre it's so easy
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 06:36:30 pm by Hellybee »

philcaegrug

• Joined Jul 2012
  • ammanford
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2016, 09:30:16 pm »
It should unwind if you put it on its side.

mebnandtrn

• Joined Mar 2014
  • lower whitley
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2016, 08:18:25 am »
i will keep trying! I cant put it on its side, its too heavy without a tractor, so we are stuck with the bales where they are, and thats not in the field at all!! Thanks

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2016, 09:18:44 am »
Take off the bale wrap and tear off a line down the bale (grab a handful - no point in being delicate about it).   This will give you the entry point to unwrap it.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2016, 10:13:00 am »
Any chance of a photo, I don't understand why you can't pull off it? It shouldn't be so tight you'd nt pull of it? It's not a chopped one is it?

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2016, 11:46:41 am »
Try sawing it across to start the unwrapping process (or use a very very sharp knife)?

Is it sitting on it's end (the flat bit) or sitting on it's side (the rounded bit)?

mebnandtrn

• Joined Mar 2014
  • lower whitley
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2016, 07:54:37 am »
its on the flat bit, and its very very tightly wound!

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2016, 11:50:03 am »
I sit them on their end (flat bit) and scrabble at it until I get some loose, once you get started it unwinds easily, yes they do seem solid at first. I get them in position before cutting plastic, then they sit in a 'saucer'to catch all the messy bits that WILL spread out  :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS