Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Cost of rearing from eggs.  (Read 2154 times)

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
Cost of rearing from eggs.
« on: February 04, 2016, 02:30:40 pm »
With another breeding season looming I wondered if anyone has costed the incubator and heat lamp cost on a batch of say 40 chicks up to off lamp stage.
Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
Re: Cost of rearing from eggs.
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2016, 09:33:13 am »
I did it once but it was based on a Brinsea Octagon 20. If you take as an example an Octagon 40 which will take 48 hen eggs which on a good hatch might give 40 chicks, they quote typical 44w for incubator and cradle. That comes to about 1Kwh per day so 21 Kwh to hatch.

I use those electric hens which use far lees electricity than a lamp I think. The Brinsea is rated at 50w so that would be 1.2Kwh per day for say 42 days although in good weather shorter than that. Also not sure you can get 40 x 6 week old birds under one. Anyway, that's 50Kwh approx.

So, approx 70Kwh to 6 weeks at approx 10p/Kwh is £7. With a 150w heat lamp, that would rise to something like £17 I think.

F.CUTHBERT

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2016, 03:51:04 pm »
Would that be an average electric used or the maximum at any time? As the heating element switches on and of to maintain the correct tempt so must used a lot more in a cold garage rather than a warm utility room.
The difference is probably pretty small compared to what a poor hatch rate would add .

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2016, 11:10:09 am »
The lamps run at about £7 a month problem you need 2 in case 1 goes I've checked the  cost of bulbs and the best 3 months avarage 2 months before it blows .So naw I'm thinking ceramic heat lamps not qwite as good .The Philips will last 6 months if you can find them .I costed some silkies and the cost was £12 each that's for a small   hen whith the wether a lot harder Iv just finished a 3 month hatch .Using medicated chick crumbs .  Work 4 times a day water food and bedding .
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 11:17:12 am by Victorian Farmer »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS