Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Question for those of you who use that Ukranian cream separator...  (Read 4632 times)

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
I'm thinking of ordering the Ukranian blue or red one on ebay, and I came across some older posts whilst researching it. Just wondering if anybody has used one for several years now and it's still going strong? Anything to watch out for? Spare parts available?

There's only the 2 of us but maybe electric would still be worth paying for? I don't mind paying extra.

I want to make cheese and butter and bought raw milk - I have the books and done the googling but letting the milk stand for so long before separating the cream requires too much patience  :)

Will the milk & cream still be good to use if it's been frozen?

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
Re: Question for those of you who use that Ukranian cream separator...
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2016, 02:19:42 pm »
Whole milk and cream will not freeze well. We used to set milk to "rise" in wide, shallow pans and skim the cream off the top before churning with a big, shallow spoon.
Mind, this was 60 odd years ago so I dare say there is a quicker, easier way now.  Not that that way was any problem!

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2016, 05:37:02 pm »
Ripened cream is easier to make into butter.  I milked  jersey house cows for years.  Just buy those big stainless steel bowls and a skimmer.  Leave in the fridge for  a day. Skim off the cream for ice cream butter or just cream.  Electric butter maker is deffo worth it though. Skim jersey milk is better than shop milk anyway.  Plus good for pigs and fattening cockerels (have to make sure the fridge is not in the kitchen now of course)
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2016, 07:12:47 pm »
Fattening cockerels - good idea!  :)

It's raw milk that we have at the moment, I really like it, I just wish there was more cream - or that I could get more out :) 

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2016, 09:26:30 pm »
When you skim it needs to look almost set on the top, and wrinkle up when the skimmer lifts it of.  Do you have a proper skimmer, in not get on from the £1 shop they are only cheap. 

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2016, 04:22:59 pm »
I'm new to all this, nobody in my family ever separated milk so I've just been using a shallow ladle and a turkey baster  :-[

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2016, 06:23:10 pm »
Something like this is fine, get on with as big and as shallow bowl as you can.  Start from one edge of the setting bowl, and skim just under the thickened cream surface, then lift it out and slip it into another bowl. 

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2016, 11:03:09 pm »
Thank you  :eyelashes:

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2016, 02:03:44 pm »
I was wondering how much cream you get?  My jersey has been lactating for 7/8 months now (can check) and came to us a 4 months ago.  I am not sure if the quality of the cream is affected by the level of lactation. The milk is quite thin.  I'm getting just under 2 litres and struggle to get much cream and what I can doesnt seem the bother. She is back in calf now so hoping on improving the milk and cream quality this time around however this will be the summer onwards.

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2016, 02:08:28 pm »
I used to dry mine off at about 9mths of milking and give them the last three months (for them and me) to have a rest and grow the calf.

I liked to work it out so I wasn't milking over Christmas, and also then there is plenty of nice grass coming for when they are in full flow.   

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2016, 11:11:31 am »
We have used the electric version (red) for a few years now for our goatsmilk - skimmed goes to the pigs (milk for that isn't stored in fridge as piggies like the soured stuff as well), we make ice cream and/or butter from the cream, I also like a dollop of it in my morning coffee... :o

It is still working fine, gets most use in the summer months when goatkids only take one/two bottle/s per day and I don't have much time to make cheese, then in autumn cheesemaking more important.

However we only use it to do single runs of around 8 ltrs, it does tend to "gunk" up a bit with fairly solid cream/butter almost if you try and put through more stuff in one go.

My goats produce their creamiest milk in later summer/autumn and winter - they are run through for kidding every other year.

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2016, 12:22:37 pm »
Thank you  :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS