Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Really Boring Question (Sorry)  (Read 5430 times)

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: Really Boring Question (Sorry)
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2016, 09:20:10 am »
Badger Face looking cross?  ..... you haven't seen the newborn lambs!  Possibly only second to Greyface Dartmoors when it comes to the cute factor!  (Cue many TASers posting photos of adorable lambs.) 

I wouldn't start with cade lambs - too many questions about their health and why they're cade in the first place.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2016, 10:16:50 am »
I wouldn't start with cade lambs - too many questions about their health and why they're cade in the first place.

Depends on the source.  Don't buy them on t'internet or at mart, no, but if you've made friends with a local farmer/sheepkeeper, and he/she can offer you some that have had a good start, it's a lot of fun.  Make sure you get boys, though, and that they're castrated already.  If you get girls it's too tempting to keep them on.  AMHIK ;)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2016, 10:57:04 am »
A

Depends on the source.  Don't buy them on t'internet or at mart, no, but if you've made friends with a local farmer/sheepkeeper, and he/she can offer you some that have had a good start, it's a lot of fun.  Make sure you get boys, though, and that they're castrated already.  If you get girls it's too tempting to keep them on.  AMHIK ;)
Agree, i got mine from a (relatively ) local farmer, they'very been good friends and support ever since.
Ah -but i did get females, and they did stay  :)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 10:59:34 am by penninehillbilly »

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2016, 12:39:44 pm »
A

Agree, i got mine from a (relatively ) local farmer, they'very been good friends and support ever since.
Ah -but i did get females, and they did stay  :)
Same here except I got a mixture from a local farmer of triplets they were, I ended up fattening the males and keeping the females and what good mothers they made too. When I converted to pure Lleyn they had to go, sadly, but they were a joy and brilliant into the bargain.  :)
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

scremmit

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Shropshire
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2016, 02:53:12 pm »
Afternoon Team!

Its a nice thought, but we wouldnt be able to care for cade lambs. We both work the wrong hours to take on such a commitment...

After a few beers and lots of crisps last night, we decided on about 10 weaned lambs which we would raise and send for slaughter toward the end of year or possibly hold a few back for lambing next year. (Thats a decision we can put off until November time.)

I think its the easiest way into farming sheep, with no lambing or sheering to worry ourselves whilst we are still newbies and we are trying to be careful not to bite off more than we can chew and be running off to our sheep farming friends every ten minutes with questions.

We chose ten as we reckon that thats a cost-effective number without going OTT- It costs the same to secure a field for ten as it does for four, for example and any supplements or medicines etc will produce less waste as they apparently have a short shelf life so we cant keep any for next year....

So now- more reading and a bit of waiting!

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2016, 04:17:56 pm »
I think that is a brilliant idea, perfect for starting out with sheep. A lot of us on here often recommend starting with slaughter animals first and breeders later, so you can get a feel for what you're doing ( its also a brill opportunity for reading up on everything and talking to sheep keeping people too). I hope all goes well and keep us updated? :thumbsup:
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS