Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Really Boring Question (Sorry)  (Read 5466 times)

scremmit

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Shropshire
Really Boring Question (Sorry)
« on: February 04, 2016, 08:10:38 am »
Morning team!

My partner and I, after umming and ahhing for a couple of years will be taking the plunge this year and buying our first little flock of sheep...

We have zero experience with sheep so have plenty to learn- starting right now...

We  have land (roughly 15 acres split into three fields) available but it belongs to the mother-in-law, who has a CPH in her name so could anybody kindly give us a basic rundown of how to move sheep between A and B.

Have googled, of course, but cannot find anything which directly answers the question of having the number in someone elses name.

Thanks in advance for taking the ime to read what could be the first of many questions!

Scremmit

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • Facebook
Re: Really Boring Question (Sorry)
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2016, 07:26:12 pm »
Hello, and welcome to TAS.   :wave:

The CPH number belongs to the land, and stays with the land even when it's sold, so who owns the land is largely immaterial where sheep are concerned.

You'll probably find this useful reading (and the other articles on the main site):

http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/livestock/sheep/starting-with-sheep/

When you move sheep from one holding to another, you need to complete a movement licence recording the movement. If you're in England or Wales this is an ARAMS-1 form, in Scotland it's a different form (see the links on the article).

Hope this helps, good luck with your sheep. What breed are you getting?

PS: There are no boring questions, only boring answers.  :)

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2016, 08:16:43 pm »
Hello! Dan's summed it up, really.

scremmit

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Shropshire
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2016, 09:06:02 pm »
Great stuff! Thanks for the reply!

I have looked into all the form filling stuff but it just niggled me a little that we weren't the land owners, so thanks for clearing that up!

Not sure of the breed yet - our first year will be a gentle one; buying weaned ones and sending them off towards the end of the year.

Our main motivation is to make sure our animals have a good life prior to slaughter so don't want to get involved in breeding / lambing straight away. If Any animal suffered due to my/our inexperience, it would kind of defeat the object!

Am tempted to look into getting ewes with lambs but as I said- not keen to rush into anything. Not like growing spuds is it?!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2016, 10:08:39 pm »
I think ewes with lambs at foot are quite a good idea. You get some meat for the freezer and hopefully have some experienced ewes to lambs again the following year and maybe some ewe lambs for the year after.

scremmit

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Shropshire
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2016, 07:55:07 am »
Thanks Rosemary- I will consider that.

Now the length of string question!

Whats the ball park figure for buying either weaned lambs or ewes with lambs?

Am in Shropshire, should that be relevant...

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2016, 08:32:11 am »
They might be a little difficult to buy now as a lot of people haven't lambed yet; however it depends what breed and where you buy them from. Market prices aren't very good atm, so a ewe with lambs wouldn't be too expensive, if buying from a mart. If of course you buy from a breeder you will pay more, but the advantages of buying from a breeder are far greater than buying from a mart. When you buy direct there is time to talk to the breeder about the said animals and you can also negotiate a price, however at marts unless you have an experienced eye you really dont know what you're buying, trust me I have been there. Hope this helps. By the way are you going with pure or mixed?
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2016, 09:15:42 am »
First question - if they're your sheep and you're responsible for their day-to-day care then you're the Keeper, irrespective of the holding. 

Second question - we're not that far from you, in N Herefordshire.  If you'd like to come and cast your eye over a mixed flock of Southdowns and Badger Face Welsh Mountains you're very welcome - just PM me.  No obligation to buy (and I don't presently have any for sale anyway).  I'll cheerfully talk sheep to anyone!

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2016, 05:54:48 pm »
I have ewes with lambs at foot for sale this year but price varies upon the age of the ewe and the sex of the lambs. Also wether they are required to be registered or not. I bought some pedigree Ryelands from highly regarded bloodlines from Shropshire last year and found the prices to be higher than here in Yorkshire.

Suppose it comes down to quality and supply v demand. You will need to obtain a flock number and this will then be linked to your holding number. Animal Health / RPA will explain all this to you.

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2016, 08:43:52 am »
Sorry, just to put a spanner in the works.

The CPH doesn't always stay the same, I had a new number when I bought this holding after the previous owner died.
Best to phone and check with the powers that be.

And Wales has only just gone digital for sheep and goat movements, it's EIDCymru for Wales and ARAMS for England only.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2016, 11:44:15 am »
Someone I sold goats to had to get a new CPH nmbr in her name when the holder, her father, had died.
How far apart are the fields?

scremmit

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Shropshire
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2016, 12:18:15 pm »
Afternoon, team!

Thanks very much for the responses- its nice to know that help is available. I Think im going to become a regular poster!

The fields are all together where Mrs Scremmit has her horses.

Since I first posted we have seen a copy of a form a local farmer filled out who grazed his sheep on Mrs Scremmits mums  land for a few months last year, so we know that the CPH is current and all in order.

Also, When Mrs Scremmit picked up some hay the other day, The Hay Man said that he was willing to sell some sheep to us, which is very exciting- We just have to make a decision as to whether we want to get weaned lambs or some ewes with lambs as Rosemary suggested to start our own flock next year.

I dont know what breed they are yet- No deals were done- it was just a chat over tea, and we have other farmers to chat to, but i would assume they were a common breed rather than something fancy like your (rather cross looking) Badger Faced Welsh Mountains!!

Am quite pleased about this as I had reservations buying from an auction, as Waterbuffalofarmer mentioned.

I am now going to drink a coffee and read my new sheep book!

Thank you once agin, folks- I will keep you updated in case you're interested!

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2016, 01:40:36 pm »
Ha ha,

poor Scremmit  ;D  and you thought the CPH question flushed out a diverse crop of answers  ;)

just wait till you start googling sheep breeds and then put a post on here asking us which breed we recommend and how many per acre  :roflanim:

Dont be too bowled over by your farming neighbors offering to sell you some sheep. Everyone who has sheep will be willing to sell you some. The most important thing is to find out why they are for sale?  ;D  Then are they wormed, vacced, free of foot rot, easy to handle, good mothers.....? Exciting times ahead!

Badger Nadgers

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Derbyshire/North Staffs
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2016, 07:54:47 pm »
Sorry, just to put a spanner in the works.

The CPH doesn't always stay the same, I had a new number when I bought this holding after the previous owner died.  Best to phone and check with the powers that be.

I agree with the ask rather than assume route.  I've had a different number from a previous tenant for some of mine, possibly because he's no longer farming.  There's presumably a range of circumstances that trigger a number change, and I'm guessing that one that might affect smallholders particularly is when a farm sells off part of its land and the CPH covers land both retained and sold.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2016, 02:53:51 am »
Someone I sold goats to had to get a new CPH nmbr in her name when the holder, her father, had died.
How far apart are the fields?
Afternoon, team!

Thanks very much for the responses- its nice to know that help is available. I Think im going to become a regular poster!

The fields are all together where Mrs Scremmit has her horses.

sorry misread your post, thinking you were asking about moving sheep round between the fields.
if you are buying locally the farmers will probably deliver and should sort the paperwork out for you, you as receiver will have to send a completed form to the movement centre, address on form.
I wouldn't be too fussy over your first sheep breed, as long as they are healthy, once you've had some for 12 month then you can decide what you like or don't like about them and then look for a suitable breed? Hope you are enjoying your sheep book :-).
If you have the time for feeding have you thought about cade (orphan) lambs?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS