Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: mineral licks  (Read 5306 times)

laurelrus

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Quainton,Buckinghamshire
  • Hobby farmer
mineral licks
« on: February 03, 2016, 01:37:34 pm »
I've just bought a NAF Himalayan salt lick for the pair of donkeys we're about to get and it's made me think about our pygmy goats - they never touch their Red Rockies lick.
I'm wondering if perhaps they'd prefer a different type of mineral lick? I did initially get them one that was like molasses and they made a real mess with it so I replaced it with the red rockies.
Are they missing out on nutrients by not having a lick they use?
Thanks for any advice!
2 pygmy goats, 3 Ouessant sheep, 19 chickens, 2 donkeys, 2 Shetland ponies and 2 dogs

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: mineral licks
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2016, 03:27:07 pm »
Some of my dairy goats hammer the red rockies, others don't touch them unless they are in kid... so it depends. They are there, and when they want them they will use them. Unless you breed from them they are unlikely to be short of anything if they get lots of hay, greenery and some veg stuff - after all in the wild goats don't have red rockies.

They may well like the pure salt licks.

laurelrus

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Quainton,Buckinghamshire
  • Hobby farmer
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2016, 03:58:02 pm »
Thanks, Anke. The salt licks were buy one get one free, so I can give the other to the goats and see what they think!
2 pygmy goats, 3 Ouessant sheep, 19 chickens, 2 donkeys, 2 Shetland ponies and 2 dogs

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2016, 07:33:53 pm »
we have Energyze Forage Booster buckets out just now and we give copper boluses twice a year and a couple of red rockies in the sheds if they want them. Just had routine bloods back and they are fine for all minerals and trace elements, always a relief  ::)
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2016, 11:27:00 pm »
Like above we have had red and yellow rockies for the goats in every pen - thinking that was correct and now we have, the crystalyx energy lick pre kidding (as I don't up feed - I would rather well fed after), high zinc lick for certain skin issues and rock salt as they seem to like that better than the processed block.

And my sheep love the natural rock salt too - win win :)
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2016, 12:32:05 am »
I've not heard of the crystal-x licks. Where do you get them and what are they supposed to do? Mine have Caprivite in their feed and a yellow rocky lick in their shed.

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2016, 10:05:58 pm »
Hi MGM - The licks are the big buckets given to sheep/cattle but I have found can be good for the goats at times - ie the High Zinc one we're using - gives extra zinc and a bit on energy post kidding - the only down side is the 'ladies' beard get dipped n it and then the kids chew on them!! so they all end up neatly shaven - but I think it more to do with what suits your situation/what they are on etc

I would say the rock salt is popular - so must be doing something or needed.
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2016, 12:56:56 am »
If the buckets are very big, it's probably too much for just two goats. Don't like the idea of clean shaven goats (although one of mine only has a wisp). The first goat I had came back from her honeymoon clean-shaven. The billy had chewed it all off.  :rant:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2016, 11:57:14 pm »
Thanks, Scarlet. I'll have a look next time I go in for food. Meanwhile I'll browse the sites.

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2016, 09:38:26 pm »
Hi MGM - sorry been busy - not chewed off entirely just squared off :)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2016, 12:53:49 am »
Still gorgeous even with half a beard.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS