Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Aborted Lamb/s  (Read 3638 times)

MrsJ

• Joined Jan 2009
Aborted Lamb/s
« on: January 31, 2016, 09:20:55 pm »
We moved our small flock to the next door field today and noticed one ewe had the remains of a water bag dangling.  Lambs aren't due until the end of March.  Couldn't find any remains in the old field but I guess they would have been very small and could have been taken by a fox or buzzard. The ewe's getting on a bit now but delivered twins last year.  We've not had this happen before.  Should we be doing anything?  Could she still have another lamb inside?  Livestock are always throwing something new at you aren't they?

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
Re: Aborted Lamb/s
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2016, 09:31:21 pm »
If she had a water bag, yes I would check to make sure she doesn't have another inside. The occasional abortion does happen, but if you have another in a short space of time, and can get the lamb and placenta preferably together, the vet can do some sampling to see if it's something contagious that you could do something with the others to reduce losses. Fingers crossed it was just one of those odd ones and everything goes smoothly from here for you.

MrsJ

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 08:12:11 am »
Nothing left inside as far as I can tell.  Will keep a really close eye on them to make sure no more happen.  Thanks for the advice.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2016, 11:20:40 am »
I'd give her an a/b shot just to be on the safe side and wouldn't put her to the tup again.

MrsJ

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2016, 01:15:41 pm »
I did wonder about putting her to the tup again.  Is she more likely to miscarry again?

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2016, 02:13:08 pm »
Could be chlamydial abortion (EAE) or Toxoplasmosis. How long have you had the flock and has this happened before?  You mentioned she was gettng on a bit.  How old is that?  Did she recover condition quickly after weaning the twins last year or is she still under condition score 3.5? 

I always take a problem in an older ewe as a signal she should retire from breeding.

MrsJ

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2016, 05:07:27 pm »
We've never had one abort before.  Speckles is about 8 and we've had her 6 years.  She recovered quickly last year.  Our North Country Mules just seem to pop them out and carry on as if nothing had happened.   :sheep:

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2016, 05:31:37 pm »
Without a diagnosis, there are multiple reasons for a single abortion, a knock in the field, a ewe with a temperature, an odd genetic deformity in the lamb.
If the ewe is well and eating with no temperature, there is NO reason to give antibiotics other than promoting antibiotic resistance which we do not want!
There is no reason to think that she'd be any more likely to abort the following year.
If she had an infectious cause, then other ewes are also likely to abort. Depending what it is(toxoplasmosis would be a prime example), the ewe can then be immune, and so would be less likely to abort the following year than one that has not aborted this year!
Like I said, get in touch with your vet as soon as possible if you have another abortion and testing asap can let you know if you have one of the infectious causes, and whether anything can be done now, or vaccination would be recommended for next year.

MrsJ

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2016, 01:30:28 pm »
Well, nothing else is showing any signs and Speckles is feeding well, completely unconcerned.  I guess it was just one of those things but will be keeping a close eye on them all as we've never had it before.

Thanks for all the advice.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS