Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Very noisy 2 week old lamb, is he still hungry? Advice please.  (Read 12701 times)

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
Re: Very noisy 2 week old lamb, is he still hungry? Advice please.
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2016, 08:36:54 pm »
You could do last feed at 12.30 night and then feed at 7.30 to 8 am.  Put down some sweet hay for them to mouth and a little bucket of lamblac, we use those little black paint kettles that they sell in b and q and the likes. A little bit of creep too, they not likely to eat it but will investigate lol

What his neck like if the fold down the throat is filling out he's gaining nicely, does he stretch when he get s up after sleep, always a good guide of how content they are.  I find some are particularly swchy (want mama all the time) , and will nudge and make a right fuss.  When they're on the bottle I let them feed til theyre belly looks nicely round then we stop.  I'd rather under do it a bit than over load. 

We still got last years mollies (Pembs form of Cade lol) mooching about.  They're as noisy and spoilt as ever, was told last week isn't it about time you weaned those lambs off you, ahhhh, it's gonna break they're heart having to join a flock, mine too, but must prepare for next lot.  Last thing you want is to take a lamb off a mama, but if we need to, I'm there with open arms x
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 08:40:41 pm by Hellybee »

Jaq Bee

• Joined May 2015
  • Czech Republic
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2016, 09:54:48 pm »
Just got in from the 10pm feed. I normally do another at 2am and then 6am. It's the 2am one that does me in. By the time I get to sleep after the 10pm it's time to get up again.
They have very good hay available at all times, they nibble on it. They have fresh water and creep available at all times. I have seen them nibbling the creep, never seen them drink water though.
They are both gaining nicely and seem much less noisy than a couple of days ago.
Last year the same mum rejected twins and I had to feed them. I milked her until I had to go back to England for an emergency and the lambs went onto a bucket. A friend came and replenished, cleaned it and gave them attention. I did think to put the bucket in at night but I don't feel happy with that. While I am here I want to make sure what they are each getting and want to do it by bottle.
I will explain my situation. I'm here alone, 3 pigs to feed and clean out daily. Four adult goats, one with week old triplets. One three year old ewe with twins, three weeks old. These two lambs, 15 days old. Five ewes from last year. Ducks, chickens and five cats. I can't nap during the day, I have far too much work to do.
What I really need is a straight 6 hours of sleep a night and then I will be fine.
I did have them on 6 hour feeds for a few days but he just wouldn't stop crying, hence changing back to four hour feeds. If I could cut out the 2am I would be in heaven :)
All of my sheep call out when they see me and they are all super friendly, all bucket trained and halter trained. This little one had me completely perplexed as to what I was doing wrong.
Hellybee, you said 12.30 at night and then at 7.30-8 am. That's 7-7 1/2 hours. I think he would scream blue murder :D Maybe I can stretch the night time feed to six hours. At least I will get more sleep than now. I know it's only for a few weeks.

MarthaR

• Joined Sep 2013
  • Near Abergavenny, South Wales
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2016, 11:44:27 pm »
No advice to add - just wanted to say hang in there. It's exhausting and all consuming isn't it when you're on your own, one is a worry and that's on top of a million and one other tasks which have to be done every day and no one else to do them but you. And the lack of sleep makes everything seem more unmanageable.
He's lucky to have you. Hope you manage to get a decent few hours tonight. 
 :hug:

Martha R

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2016, 11:45:51 pm »
Sorry I meant 6.30 am :innocent:  , but at least then you ll be putting him down at a relatively normal time, I don't think it's a big leap to push him to six hours as long as he's gaining well and is bouncing, he's sounds fab x

Jaq Bee

• Joined May 2015
  • Czech Republic
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2016, 06:16:31 pm »
We are getting there :) I spent the afternoon cleaning the stall next to them and they slept throughout  :excited:
Tonight I am going to let them go 6 hours. I had a rough nights sleep last night, less sleep than normal and I have to do it for me.
They are both much more settled (especially him). I spent some time today hand feeding them some creep feed. Figured they have no one else to show them. They are drinking water and nibbling on hay as well.
Thank you to everyone who has given me advice and to Martha for the moral support  :bouquet:
Luckily I'm a fairly fit and healthy old girl who doesn't mind hard work, just need some sleep  ;D

MarthaR

• Joined Sep 2013
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2016, 09:48:52 pm »
Glad it looks like you're on the way back up. I read your posts and was taken back to feeling much the same last summer when caring for a sick piglet on night duties and on my own. The worry and lack of sleep made me feel like a sort of madness was descending! But it passed. As it does.
Glad you're doing ok
Martha

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2016, 09:07:55 pm »
Glad to hear the little fella is settling down  :thumbsup:

When we're lambing, my bottle lambs only get feeds in the night for a few days. After that, they go onto last feed at midnight, morning feed 7 or 7.30am, unless they're really struggling. Like you, I have to get sleep for everyone's sake, so that's the way it has to be. 

When I do have lambs that need a nighttime feed, I have them in a dog cage next to the Rayburn, so I don't have to get dressed and go outside, and that makes a big difference. Often, I snooze in my chair until say 2am, give them a feed and then go to bed. I can feed them in my jimjams as soon as I get up, and don't have all the other pets screaming for their breakfast until I'm dressed and go outside.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2016, 01:51:08 pm »
Oh goodness me yes get some sleep! I find that very early morning feed / check a killer too. I think he needed that little bit more feed. As you say you are spending more time but it sounds like he is asleep through most of it  ;D  So I recon its the full tummy thats calming him down. I'm guessing the sleeve sucking and constant nudging has stopped too so I think you have cracked it with that slight increase in milk.

He sounds like a big boy that had a big apatite. Every penny dosen't fill the slott I guess so I tend to go with nature and my instinct rather than going by the book.

I hope he continues to grow more independent.

Jaq Bee

• Joined May 2015
  • Czech Republic
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2016, 07:03:21 pm »
Just an update on the Milk Monsters  :sheep:
They are on 350ml five times a day, yep I know that is too much (according the the manufacturer they should now be on 500ml twice a day). I feed them at 7, 11, 3, 7 & 11. So I am getting sleep now  :excited:
They are not interested in creep feed, eat hardly any hay, probably because they are getting too much milk.
I need to cut them back but it's going to be tough as they still scream every time they see me and even after a feed are trying to get more from my 'imaginary udders'. Seriously I have never known two lambs like them.
I have put them out in the garden with the youngsters from last year, supervised. I'm actually considering penning them with one or two of them just so they can show them the ropes. I look rather funny down on all fours trying to teach them to eat hay  :excited: ;D
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 07:51:35 pm by Jaq Bee »

MarthaR

• Joined Sep 2013
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2016, 08:48:11 pm »
Brilliant news. Coming out the other side!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2016, 10:21:49 pm »
Glad they're doing well - and that you're getting some sleep!  :thumbsup:

It's a good idea to put them with some other lambs to copy, provided they don't get bashed about by lambs much bigger than themselves.

They don't look fat or bloated in your pic, so they clearly need the feed you're giving them.

Thanks for the update  :)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2016, 04:02:17 pm »
Well done they're indeed a credit to you. One question..... What breed are they?
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Jaq Bee

• Joined May 2015
  • Czech Republic
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2016, 05:47:57 pm »
Mum is a Merino and Dad a Zwartbles .... hence one white (ram), one black (ewe)  :)
The two I am considering putting them in with are their sisters from last year, both bottle babies and both very gentle. I will do it when I have time to spend watching them, probably early next week.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2016, 06:07:31 pm »
Love  them what beautiful b i g babies x

Jaq Bee

• Joined May 2015
  • Czech Republic
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2016, 07:45:04 pm »
Thank you :) They should be big for the amount of milk they put away  ;D Just started another 10kg bag!
The photo attached is of their sisters from last year, again, one white, one black.
It's going to break my heart to let him go. I can't eat him after raising him  :'( I can't keep him, all my ewes bar one are his sisters and half sisters.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS