Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: keeping a breeding sow  (Read 6544 times)

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
Re: keeping a breeding sow
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2016, 02:34:04 pm »
Horses ain't pigs and pigs ain't horses.  However high the standard of welfare I personally don't think either should be kept on their own, although I know many are.  Humans are also highly intelligent, highly social animals.  Question is, would you like to be kept with horses, pigs or sheep and never see or hear another human being for days, weeks or months?

Oh, yes please!!!!

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2016, 03:05:46 pm »
I've stuck with wearers as much as anything because keeping one sow I can get my head round but two gives a lot of extra pig to feed or too many piglets.  There is a trend round here even at livery yards for horses to be individually turned out with electric wire between them they always seem to stand in the plot hardly moving and look miserable. My horse runs with 4 others in a permanent herd and it may be anthropomorphic but seems a lot happy for it.  Having said that 2 horses always means over dependency/ separation anxiety 3 is a lot easier to keep as a rule than 2. And of course 4 means you can take 2 out and still have a pair.
So I've stuck with wearers as it won't be 1 or 2 or 3 but 4 or more. 

Now cats...that is a species that loves to be alone.  If only pigs were cats.  But with less fur of course.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2016, 04:13:36 pm »

Now cats...that is a species that loves to be alone.  If only pigs were cats.  But with less fur of course.

Yes but that's one hell of a cat flap!

Azzdodd

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2016, 11:01:34 pm »
If I tried to seperate my sows they would move hell an high water to get back together not much would stop them.

The answer I think to your question

Can a sow be kept on her own - yes - will she be the happiest pig - no

Only other option is maybe keep a couple of her daughters while she's in dirt the boar seperate them an when boar goes home put them 2 back in by the time she farrows them 2 gilts will be fat an ready to eat

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2016, 12:40:40 pm »
I will say this. If you are going to start breeding make sure you have a market for the piglets and/or meat. A lot of people have found out that pigs are expensive eating machines and the market is flooded with cheap ones that are not easy to sell for a decent price.

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2016, 09:54:27 am »
I have to agree with Marches Farmer & Hughsey, too many people think they'll keep a sow and then she has a litter of 16 piglets and what u gonna do with 'em all!?
See http://www.gospbc.co.uk/so-you-want-to-keep-pigs-part-5/
Do some serious thinking is all I ask. Better to support a local breeder by buying weaners than doing it yourself if you only want a some pork for the freezer. Weaners only sell for £25-45 if your're lucky some went for a fiver the other day in the mart >:( they don't go for puppy prices!!!
Best Mandy :pig:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS