Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: keeping a breeding sow  (Read 6580 times)

mebnandtrn

• Joined Mar 2014
  • lower whitley
keeping a breeding sow
« on: January 29, 2016, 08:07:27 am »
Last year we had 3 weaners, saddleback large white cross, which we are well on our way through eating and selling. The farmer has offered us pedigree saddleback weaners and we were wondering about keeping a breeding sow, subject to cost. So a few questions. Can you keep a single sow? She will have her children with her for about 6 months of the year, but when they go to slaughter she will be alone. How much is a saddleback boar to hire, or how much (and how easy) is artificial insemination? Is there a market for saddleback weaners? Sorry for the questions and thank you for the answers.

PK

• Joined Mar 2015
  • West Suffolk
    • Notes from a Suffolk Smallholding
Re: keeping a breeding sow
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2016, 08:37:56 am »
Some of your questions have recently been discussed here:-

http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/forum/index.php?topic=71725.0

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2016, 01:01:43 pm »
I keep a breeding sow in this way and she is a very happy piggy. Keeping a daughter this litter but only because we want more piglets for the freezer.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2016, 01:23:29 pm »
Pigs are a herd animal and should not be kept on their own.  Full stop.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2016, 01:26:34 pm »
Last year we had 3 weaners, saddleback large white cross, which we are well on our way through eating and selling.

Have you got a market for more? You could have 10 or more to find homes/freezers for?

The farmer has offered us pedigree saddleback weaners and we were wondering about keeping a breeding sow, subject to cost.

Are they birth notified and suitable for registration? Only the breeder can register. Not all in a litter will meet breed standards. Not birth notified can't be registered and there for not pedigree.

Can you keep a single sow? She will have her children with her for about 6 months of the year, but when they go to slaughter she will be alone.

Once weaned if a sow doesn't go back into pig you run the risk of her not breeding again so she will in fact have two litter a year. Lots more weaners or pork to shift.

How much is a saddleback boar to hire, or how much (and how easy) is artificial insemination?

Hiring a boar will vary. Contact people with boars and ask. Havn't bough semen for a while but ring and ask. AI can be difficult especially if you don't have a boar close to tease your sow and you need to know when to do it etc.

Is there a market for saddleback weaners?

There is no guaranteed market at all at the moment but depends where you are and the competition. If you can't sell them then consider what you do with them and that if you end up in a market you will almost certainly make a loss.

Not trying to put you off put do your homework as there is a big difference in keeping a couple for your freezer and breeding. If you are going to keep pedigree then learn about breed standards and remember just because the parents meet breed standard their litters will have some that wont.

Be realistic with costings.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2016, 01:35:28 pm »
Pigs are a herd animal and should not be kept on their own.  Full stop.

I have had sows that won't go back with another sow after farrowing. I got round it by making sure they could see another.

Horses are herd animals but a lot adjust to living by themselves just fine. As do lots of animals when circumstances change.

JedM

• Joined Aug 2014
  • East Anglia
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2016, 02:08:41 pm »
I keep one sow on her own and she is happy, although I always have weaners in the pen next to her as I breed her twice a year.

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2016, 06:01:07 pm »
Government guidelines - not a statutory requirement but be prepared to explain yourself to Animal Health if you do something different:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/code-of-recommendations-for-the-welfare-of-livestock-pigs/pigs-welfare-recommendations

Section 2.7 is relevant here:
...keep sows and gilts in groups except during the 7 days before the expected day of farrowing and the day weaning the piglets (including any fostered piglets) is complete
But you can keep sows and gilts individually if your holding has 9 or fewer sows, as long as you meet the housing requirements.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2016, 07:00:12 pm »
A pig is a highly intelligent, social animal and should not be kept alone.  Full stop.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2016, 07:06:32 pm »
Government guidelines - not a statutory requirement but be prepared to explain yourself to Animal Health if you do something different:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/code-of-recommendations-for-the-welfare-of-livestock-pigs/pigs-welfare-recommendations

Section 2.7 is relevant here:
...keep sows and gilts in groups except during the 7 days before the expected day of farrowing and the day weaning the piglets (including any fostered piglets) is complete
But you can keep sows and gilts individually if your holding has 9 or fewer sows, as long as you meet the housing requirements.

I've had Animal Health and she was quite happy about my sow on her own.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2016, 07:07:36 pm »
A pig is a highly intelligent, social animal and should not be kept alone.  Full stop.

So are horses.

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2016, 10:40:27 pm »
Totally agree with you Harmony. Horses are a great comparative example.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2016, 12:15:34 pm »
Horses ain't pigs and pigs ain't horses.  However high the standard of welfare I personally don't think either should be kept on their own, although I know many are.  Humans are also highly intelligent, highly social animals.  Question is, would you like to be kept with horses, pigs or sheep and never see or hear another human being for days, weeks or months?

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2016, 12:58:20 pm »
I for one am very happy just seeing my animals for days on end. I totally get your point though. I guess we each do what best suits our system and our pockets! To each their own,  as long as the animals are happy, healthy and we'll taken care of!

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2016, 01:23:44 pm »
Horses ain't pigs and pigs ain't horses.  However high the standard of welfare I personally don't think either should be kept on their own, although I know many are.  Humans are also highly intelligent, highly social animals.  Question is, would you like to be kept with horses, pigs or sheep and never see or hear another human being for days, weeks or months?

Depends on my mood!

The one thing I can say for certain is that I am a human and that is the way I think. Over the years I have gained an insight into how I think other animals think but actually none of us can say for certain that we know just how an animal thinks at all so a comparison between humans and animals isn't always the answer.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS