Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Land....now what.  (Read 8984 times)

greengumbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Aberdeenshire
Land....now what.
« on: January 27, 2016, 05:49:14 pm »
We have recently purchased about 10 acres up in Aberdeenshire. Extremely exciting and more than a little daunting.

I have kept pigs previously and currently have quails, chooks and am an avid beekeeper with aspirations of taking that further. My wife runs a small food business in its infancy.

My plans at the moment are fairly rudimentary. I have looked at various grants etc available but its a bit of a maze to see where we fit into the Rural Payments and Services things for farmers. Have people on here been through the process for getting native hedgerows established, beetlebanks, meadows etc etc.

I am keen to establish some wild flower meadow, grow willow / hazel for our fuel (SCR or pollarding). Mainly I want to expand the honey production, rear quails for meat and egg sales in the first place.

Its a long term project but an exciting one. Thoughts and advice most welcome.

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Land....now what.
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2016, 07:10:34 pm »
Sorry, can't help with the payments stuff as we are too small to qualify for any but wanted to say good luck. My OH is an aspiring beekeeper so I'm rather jealous.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2016, 07:19:26 pm »
Might be worth checking with local council if they have any environmental grants. When we moved in Cambridgeshire had noticed they had no hedges and the wind was blowing in across the fens so we got all our hedging plants supplied free. On Rural Payments we gave up. Similar acreage to yours they kept sending more and more tedious and intrusive paperwork which was aimed at bigger establishments so nearly impossible to answer many of the questions after the third or forth round we gave up replying.

juliem

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2016, 11:41:01 pm »
I have 5 hectares here in Shropshire and get 950 £ per year from rural payments and £100 from Natural England.I have inherited these entitlements together with the land only 5 years ago and the money has steadily declined.Suspect the 5 hectare rule will be increased .The biggest benefactor in this counrty is the National Trust.There are a lot of hoops to jump through including the requirement for a weedkiller licence and a lot of technical paperwork.

juliem

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2016, 11:45:17 pm »
The minimum land required to claim rural payments is now 5 hectares in England

greenbeast

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2016, 11:04:54 am »
And i think that has to be 'farmable' doesn't it?
We have 5.8 but 2ac of it are woodland

greengumbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2016, 11:09:59 am »
Hi All, its 3 hectares in Scotland. The land is a barley field at the moment.

Not necessarily looking for a small farm payment more to help with costs of putting in hedgerows, wildflowers, woodland (for fuel) and beetlebanks.

I think a fair few folk on here use willow in a SCR for fuel. Any hints and tips on that ?

I expect I'll be posting a lot on this forum in the years to come !

juliem

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2016, 06:59:21 pm »
The Woodland Trust can be very helpful...they will provide free trees in England....but the area must be communal/ open to  public access.

JackandJill

• Joined Mar 2015
  • Aberareon, Ceredigion
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2016, 02:07:22 pm »
hi,
anyone any ideas for Wales?

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2016, 05:43:03 pm »
I am not sure how much is available in grants/schemes for smallholdings in Wales. Would be worth looking into though
http://gov.wales/funding/grants/?lang=en
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 02:22:15 pm by waterbuffalofarmer »
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2016, 07:41:19 pm »
Plenty of money available in Scotland for hedges,fencing and so on.some you can apply for simply others you will have to be in receipt of sfp.   How old are you as there are entitlements available from the national land bank but age is a factor. Where abouts in Aberdeenshire out of interest.

greengumbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2016, 12:15:21 pm »
Plenty of money available in Scotland for hedges,fencing and so on.some you can apply for simply others you will have to be in receipt of sfp.   How old are you as there are entitlements available from the national land bank but age is a factor. Where abouts in Aberdeenshire out of interest.

I'm pushing 36 next month....feels old !

We are up near Tarves area. Currently trying to fill our a land management form to sort a new CPH (or transfer our old one across). Bit of a process !

greengumbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2016, 11:24:47 am »
Okay....now trying to sort out entitlement transfers.

Can anyone explain in simple terms what the difference is between the transfer of land under the Land Maintenance Form and the transfer of entitlements ?

Also the current owner has a "deal" in place with a local farmer who basically she contracts to carry our the farming on her behalf. She told me that he does drainage, cuts hedges, plants and harvests etc then buys all the barley from her - if its a good price that year he gives her the difference in a cheque. If its a bad price then she gives him a cheque. Seems pretty good deal for the farmer if you ask me ! He said to me he is happy to rent it or continue this arrangement. We are unlikely to do much our self with the field this year as lots to do on house. Someone said renting it can effect entitlements ?

I mentioned I was more interested in planting a willow SRC acre and some wildflower meadow....they almost choked.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2016, 11:36:31 am »
As far as I can make out, the transfer of land is pretty straightforward - you're just telling RPID who now owns the various land parcels that make up your holding. Technically, it's the seller who is meant to do this and get your signature (I think).

Entitlements refers to the payments due from the Basic Payment scheme, which is the basic level of subsidy on farm land. It replaced the Single Farm Payment. Good luck with understanding that. Maybe someone on here can explain it. I'm not convinced the RPID people understand it.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2016, 11:48:32 am »

I mentioned I was more interested in planting a willow SRC acre and some wildflower meadow....they almost choked.

Planting willow on agricultural land that is capable of growing barley will make most farming folk choke, yes.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS