Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Scanner's been  (Read 9678 times)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Scanner's been
« on: January 27, 2016, 01:00:36 pm »
Twenty nine lambs scanned in 15 ewes - two trips, three singles and ten twins

One of the trips had trips last year, the other had twins.

Two of the three singles are gimmers; the other had twins last year.

Scanner a bit concerned about one of the gimmer singles - lamb small and the uterus not as fluid as she'd expect, but we'll just have to wait and see, and keep an eye on her. Hopefully, she'll hang on to it.

Was going to fluke them but it was pissing down so will do it when we split them up and Heptavac them.

The three gimmers we had visiting scanned with two twins and a single.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Re: Scanner's been
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2016, 01:39:22 pm »
193%  :)
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2016, 03:55:10 pm »
Sounds great  :thumbsup:

You may even be able to twin-on those trips ;)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2016, 04:45:54 pm »
193%  :)

Aye, no quite up tae your standards  ;D

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2016, 05:13:19 pm »
Not even close! (257%  :innocent: ).  But at least you'll be able to twin on the trips as Sally says. I've got nobody to twin them on to except Mrs Womble!  ;D

TheSmilingSheep

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2016, 07:30:47 pm »
Gosh!  I'm such a novice - I'd be spooked by your percentages..... Our Balwens generally have singles, with twins being a bit of excitement...  If we had your results we'd need to be finding more land very quickly!!!!

Anyway, very jealous.  Our scanner not due for a week or two.

kate7590

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Powys
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2016, 07:46:33 pm »
That sounds fab! At what stage can they be scanned? I doubt we'd ever have enough to warrant a scanner!  :D
Living the 'Good Life' in our little Chapel in the rural welsh countryside.
Proud owner of 3 Border Collies, Giant Rabbits, Guinea Pigs, Chickens, Runner Ducks, 3 'pet sheep' &  Jacob Sheep.
Loving life :)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2016, 09:29:22 pm »
Not even close! (257%  :innocent: ).  But at least you'll be able to twin on the trips as Sally says. I've got nobody to twin them on to except Mrs Womble!  ;D

One set of trips IS due the day after a single but the other set of trips is right at the end and the other two singles are right at the beginning. Naturally  ::)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2016, 09:31:19 pm »
That sounds fab! At what stage can they be scanned? I doubt we'd ever have enough to warrant a scanner!  :D

Ideally, you want to scan between 70 and 90 days of pregnancy and certainly not less than 55 days or more than 100 days.

When we had three ewes, we had them scanned. I don't like surprises  ;D

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2016, 11:00:38 pm »

Blimey what breed do you have womble? BFL??

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2016, 11:22:03 pm »
No, just Zwartbles Roddy, and actually counting only the Z's it works out at 267%  :o . We didn't even flush them, so it's a mystery to me. However when I looked shocked, the scanner just said "if you didn't want triplets, why on earth did you get Z's?". Honestly, I had no idea. Lleyns etc yes, but I really didn't know Z's were that prolific. Have I missed something somewhere?  ???

Kate - the reason we had ours scanned was so we knew who was carrying what, for example so we knew to feed trips more than singles (not that we have any!). So it's really useful to know, but I must say I'm feeling the pressure a bit now!  :-[
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 11:26:14 pm by Womble »

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2016, 01:24:24 pm »
Congrats Rosemary! I expect this year I will be getting more trips than last year, as i did flush them a bit  :-\ I have 2 ewes which the ram was in with in October, so should have a few lambs in march, hopefully. Last year I got a lot of singles, a few twins and 3 sets of triplets; Hoping for better results this year :)
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2016, 07:04:55 pm »
Gosh!  I'm such a novice - I'd be spooked by your percentages..... Our Balwens generally have singles, with twins being a bit of excitement...  If we had your results we'd need to be finding more land very quickly!!!!
Around here the view is generally "Better a good single than scrappy twins".  Depends what you're after - scrappy twins generally make slaughter weight eventually, but you wouldn't want to breed from them.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2016, 07:26:39 pm »
Around here the view is generally "Better a good single than scrappy twins".  Depends what you're after - scrappy twins generally make slaughter weight eventually, but you wouldn't want to breed from them.

And good twins are even better. Our eight slaughter tup lambs - a mix of twins and triplets - averaged 26kg dw at six months off grass.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2016, 07:31:27 pm »
Sounds great, Rosemary - do you know what their conformation was?  (R3L etc)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS