Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Housing for geese  (Read 5593 times)

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
Re: Housing for geese
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2016, 09:45:38 pm »
We could do. It's very small though. I didn't they'd go under it but there were droppings under there. You can see it in this photo, it's not a great photo though.

Will look into the metal grills

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2016, 09:56:08 pm »
OK, my geese just saw the grass in your photo and say they're coming to live with you instead.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2016, 10:02:59 pm »
If you are going to make something how about a goose wagon ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctowukADHCQ )  I want one and am trying to convince OH
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2016, 10:50:45 pm »
lol Womble. We were worried it was too long for them so hubby mowed a bit for them today

That looks swanky clydesdaleclooper  not sure my DIY skills are up to that.

Whilst I have you all here what do you do for feeding the geese during winter. We gave some layers pellets with flubenvet (wanted to worm them as doubt the previous owner would have) but I'm feeding them just on the floor, doing the same with putting down grit.Was thinking of getting a hentastic feeder. Anyone have positive/negative experience with these?

http://www.thepetexpress.co.uk/poultry-supplies/hentastic-trough-feeder?gclid=Cj0KEQiAlae1BRCU2qaz2__t9IIBEiQAKRGDVUYs5BsSZPNDRkT-QG_IAtmKaTlxyivWH9x86qXRfIEaAkGb8P8HAQ

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

mentalmilly

• Joined Nov 2012
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2016, 11:26:16 am »
I use heavy ceramic dog bowls for my geese, low cost, can be moved where you want and they cant tip it over and water stays in the pot not on the floor, layer pellets in the other pot and oyster grit wherever. Very easy to look after, easy to clean. You know you are in danger of being hooked on geese.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2016, 01:12:08 pm »
My mob get flaked maize (looks similar to cornflakes) or just maize or mixed grain mostly in a recycled tyres heavy container, or just on the ground if they're around to eat it up immediately.  They also get a whole iceberg lettuce which they devour in seconds once a week and a few slices of brown wholemeal bread once a week.  Thinly cut apple slices go down a treat too. 
Flipping 5 star here I'll tell you.  Love geese.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

waddy

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2016, 05:37:36 pm »
Mine are all mad for lettuce and will follow anywhere for it. They normally have a mix of goose/duck growers or breeders (depending on their season) mixed with about a third mixed corn although they eat mostly grass which I have found makes giving Flubenvet a problem as they don't get a full dose and their is no way I could keep them in. My vet says giving levamisole is not an option if we intend to eat any of them. They have pellets/corn and water at night but a pond to swim in and drink from so the soluble panacur is also a problem. If anyone has a satisfactory method please let us know!

Best of luck with your geese!

Helen

Azzdodd

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2016, 02:19:09 pm »
Mine have IBC tanks cut a hole in front for them to have access then a larger one in the back but hinged the plastic back on an a bolt got access for myself cheap easy to clean.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS