Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Housing for geese  (Read 5616 times)

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
Housing for geese
« on: January 27, 2016, 01:00:03 am »
Well my smallholding books aren't helping me much and the google search is overwhelming.

We've converted a shed as a house for the cockerel and his soon to be harem  :excited: but we need something for the geese.

What kind of space do they need? I've seen a range of sizes given. Also how tall? They seem to be quite tall birds but the ready made houses sometimes seem quite short.

Do they need nest boxes if I'm not having them sit on eggs?

For flooring is it best to have one or straight onto the ground?

We are trying to decide between modifying a bike shed, modifying a dog kennel or knocking something up ourselves.

I have a dedicated goose book on the way but until that gets here I'm a bit clueless and slightly worried these birds aren't much better off with us than they were abandoned by the previous owners.  :-[

Dans (pic just because)
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
Re: Housing for geese
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2016, 07:08:14 am »
The bike shed will be fine and no, they won't use a nest box but will make their own nest.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2016, 02:43:13 pm »
Definitely make sure you have got a solid floor - rats, badger etc will burrow in!

Some bedding and if you chuck in some straw they will make a nest in a corner.

Bike shed sounds fine, except make sure you have got reasonable access for cleaning -- either the roof lifts off or you can at least get in comfortably. A fine mesh in front of ventilation holes stops weasels getting in.

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2016, 03:05:23 pm »
ok is a bike shed better for the height?

Hubby was looking at one like this, thinking we could saw one of the doors in half to have a goose height door and person height door. Should be able to get in easily to clean and would just need to take a slat or two out for ventilation and I assume they need some water overnight?

http://www.shedstore.co.uk/storage/bike-storage/shire/shire-bike-store-6-by-3?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=product_ads&gclid=CjwKEAiA8qG1BRDz0tmK0pufw3QSJACfn6olTShXtN9bphcVD0W6jLmCovZujhf5AunL81k8h9jI9BoCRmTw_wcB

Dans
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 03:10:48 pm by Dans »

www.sixoaks.co.uk

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2016, 03:38:51 pm »
exciting stuff Dans,

well a number of the requirements are the same as for your hens in that a shed that you can stand up in is easier for you to clean out without grovelling about. It still needs to be draught and rain free though geese are more water resistant than hens.

Ventilated to ensure good air circulation especially for the summer months.

Sturdy and fox proof. So dont site it on a surface that a fox can dig under / through. Also consider mice or rats living underneath it.

Will it have a run just incase you need to pen them in at any time? The principal for a run would be the same as it would for the chickens in term of vermin etc.

Lastly, future proofing. If you make a shed type like this one you can always modify it for chickens, turkeys etc if you decide not to stick with geese.

Rosie posie

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2016, 06:12:18 pm »
Ours live in an old wooden summerhouse. With windows removed for ventilation. They seem perfectly happy, and nest and rear their young in there too.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2016, 07:28:16 pm »
we use a dog kennel = they don't mind bending down to get in a space but once they're in they should be able to stand up no prob - remember if you make a pen they will strip it of grass very quickly indeed and you will need to either let them out or continually make it larger - ours free range 24/7 but they go back to it each year to lay and have their young.  It has  a concrete paviours base and hay on it rather than straw as it makes a nicer softer nest.

Good luck with your geese, they're not everyone's cup of tea especially in the spring but I totally love my geese.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

HappyHippy

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2016, 07:38:10 pm »
Maybe it's my phone but the link just took me to a main menu  ???
Remembering my grannies geese from my childhood and from my own experience recently with ducks I'd suggest a plastic house  :innocent: They can be messy and plastic is super easy to keep clean  ;)
I bought a plastic 'garden store' from Argos which was big enough for my ducks, ready floored, roof lifts up and double door arrangement so one could be left open during the day then locked up at night (we driller some 10mm holes in the sides for ventilation.....not sure what range of sizes they do or if experienced geese keepers would agree but thought I'd mention it.
Karen

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2016, 07:55:00 pm »
If you go plastic make sure it sits out of the wind and/or is anchored down properly...

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2016, 08:14:40 pm »
I'm probably going to be shot down in flames for this, but our geese live quite happily in a floor-less ark:

We pick it up and move it to a new spot every day, and put a sort of pallet type thing inside when the ground is wet.

Advantages:  No cleaning out whatsoever :thumbsup:
Disadvantages: They ate it. We patched it. They ate it again  :innocent: . Then the ply started to absorb water and it became a pain to drag about.

I've just picked up an old fibreglass Truckman pickup canopy that I'm going to turn into MK2. It's going to have wheels so it can be moved more easily, and this time I'm going to use rylock mesh on the floor in case foxy tries to dig his way in. I did mean to do that with the original one, but never quite got round to it!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

waddy

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2016, 09:21:06 pm »
i'll echo Womble. They do like to chew! Ours are gradually getting through the overlap cladding on their shed. They have a concrete floor which is easy to clean and hay to bed down on when nesting. We originally bedded half the shed with chook bedding but they prefered standing on the concrete. They are great characters!

Good luck with them!

Helen

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2016, 11:31:52 pm »
Yes, they love chewing on things. Ours have demolished two sheds, a newly planted orchard and the electrics on two trailers our fencing contractor left in their field over a weekend. They also shot blasted the chassis of an old car for me, which was useful.

The only things I've found that they won't chew on are prawn crackers and carrot tops. It's hard to collect enough of those to build a goose house with though  :-\.

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2016, 02:07:57 pm »
Tatty box with door in one side and corrugated metal roof?

They can fit through a surprisingly small door. My husband made one for mine, door was about 2' square. But they could fit into my hen house pop hole, which was something like 20cm square, maybe a bit less!
If I had them again, I would make a small pop hole door like this, to keep as much straw in, and keep rain out.

I'm sure you know, but I wouldn't be in a hurry to keep a gander again if I were paid! He had a lovely goose mate, but was so aggressive in spring time (Feb-June) that he would hurt the hens. He would pick them up and shake them, feathers everywhere! He ripped the back off one. He had to go.
If I had no smaller animals or children it would be fine, as they are otherwise quite delightful.

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2016, 09:17:45 pm »
HappyHippy that link should work, although now I see it has no floor. I'm interested in the 10mm holes for ventilation. Do you just do several on either side. That would be easier than removing slats from out shed convert henhouse.

They have something similar to yours Womble, but no front or back. It's the only shelter that was in their field with them so we grabbed it as an interim.

What kind of floor space do they need per bird?

Now thinking of a plastic store if we can keep it anchored down.

We weren't going to do a run as they are currently free ranging over an acre. If we decide we like geese we'll get a better more permanent solution.

Dans

www.sixoaks.co.uk

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2016, 09:30:47 pm »
They have something similar to yours Womble, but no front or back. It's the only shelter that was in their field with them so we grabbed it as an interim.

What kind of floor space do they need per bird?

Could you fill in the front and back then, again as an interim? 

Our house was made with 8 foot ply sheets, so the useable floor area is probably 3ft x 7ft. That's plenty big enough for our five geese. Actually I think they'd be happy in something half the size, but if you're having a permanent house and intending on them nesting inside too, I'd go for at least a 6x4 shed. As with all poultry, and particularly waterfowl, good ventilation is very important. The metal grilles I used (see photo) are available inexpensively from building supply depots etc.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS