Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Crossbreed Kids  (Read 4708 times)

Talana

• Joined Mar 2014
Re: Crossbreed Kids
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2016, 08:23:20 pm »
I have a small herd of dairy goats cos i like them from whom produce milk for their kids some pet lambs and myself and some goat meat from surplus male kids not destined for breeding. I sometimes have females to sell and occasional male .I used to be able to take my reared male kids to scotch premier slaughterhouse in Inverurie my local butcher picked it up gave me some of the meat i required and would buy the rest and was always looking for more (£60+ depending on how much I wanted back some i got nearly £100 and not a boer in sight)
Several years ago he stopped trading. Other butchers wouldn't do this service. Scotch premier and Mathers sold to Scotbeeef -no longer slaughter goats. tried turriff, portlethin, elgin -No, Granton on spey yes but a fare trek for me, dingwall yes but too far for me. Although last month I heard scotch premier started slaughtering goats again but to existing customers only, I've been meaning to ring round slaughterhouses and butchers again just in case they changed policy. Last year i tried breeders who sell their goat meat I could think of but no as not their own or boer x but one trialing.

Verdifish where do you get your goat slaughtered, butchered are there much rules facility's you need to sell meat.
Anke I did not realize you are allowed to do home kill, may have to look in to that as well. It's worth noting some breeders have to resort to culling male dairy kids at birth. Yet others can be profitable with boers as you can see quotes from the article I read in other thread, that's why my posts are contradictory on this subject.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 08:47:19 pm by Talana »

Isla

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Aberdeenshire
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2016, 08:48:22 pm »
Isla heres link to Grampian goat cluub website https://sites.google.com/site/grampiangoatclub/home
It's difficult getting different opinions but people have different experiences, you gotta think why do i want goats and for what purpose, what kind would I like looking at every day and check out health of any goat whatever breed.
 I f you are aiming for a milking breed Isla you don't have to kid them every year just keep milking and yes you can breed them back to BA there are a lot of crossbred goats around and are just as valuable.

Thanks.  Also thanks for passing on the results of your abbatoir and butcher research.  Good to hear lots of different ideas and then work out what's best for my circumstances.  My priority is milk.  Not interested in showing, at this stage.  I'm vegetarian but OH would gladly eat goat meat.

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2016, 08:50:35 pm »
Home slaughter is fine if for your immediate family's consumption on the farm they were slaughtered on.
We have used grantown but are looking to use dingwall next time around.
Environmental health have to approve your premises if you wish to sell meat from them, mostly hoops to jump through are about ensuring temperature never gets too high to risk food poisoning bugs growing. The alternative is to sell meat direct from the butcher, buyers arranging to collect at the same time, which saves sellers the worry of making sure we're up to scratch for environmental health.
Alternatively, Thainstone rare breed sale always does a very good trade on live goats, even some very skinny skanky looking dairy boys!

Talana

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2016, 08:59:42 pm »
Isla some breeding lines of dairy goats are capable of only kidding once and just keep on milking for years without being put back into kid. for priority with milk i would look for a goat with a good milking and long lactation back round plus what you like the look of. Stock often come up for sale in the spring onwards

Talana

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2016, 09:11:02 pm »
fsmnutter thanks good to know, why Dingwall.

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2016, 01:47:20 pm »
They are an approved cutting plant so makes it easier for us to sell meat through the small local producer exemptions, we can drop stock off on a Sunday so avoiding early morning transport and stress, the slaughter costs are a bit cheaper and we've had nothing but good reports from friends who have used them.

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2016, 05:45:24 pm »
we use Dingwall all the time, they are pretty good and they will store your skins ready for tanning by Skyeskyns if you decide to  :thumbsup:
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS