Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Can anyone tell me about keeping pheasants?  (Read 3279 times)

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Can anyone tell me about keeping pheasants?
« on: January 26, 2016, 01:25:26 pm »
Hi
I am interested in keeping pheasants, for meat of course. I can get hold of proper ring necked pheasants hatching eggs; I would like to know how long do I incubate them for? Would it be possible to let a hen incubate and raise them for me? What do i feed the chicks? how do I keep them in without them flying away and separate from my chickens? Also do they carry things which could be lethal to my chickens? Sorry for all the questions, but I would really like to raise game fowl for the table and I have never eaten homegrown pheasant before :)
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
Re: Can anyone tell me about keeping pheasants?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2016, 02:01:04 pm »
Yep. Not unlike sheep they love to die!!! 

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2016, 02:02:51 pm »
Alternatively, join The gamekeeper forum they will answer all of your Q,s.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2016, 05:28:16 pm »
We once put wild pheasant eggs under a broody when a fox killed Mama and had a successful hatch, although the hen was rather puzzled when the poults dashed straight outside and started pecking for themselves and completely ignored her calling them to her.  They were very flighty and when we judged them able to look after themselves and let them out they flew straight up to the top of the barn roof.   They hung around the bird feeder quite a lot through the Winter, though.

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2016, 01:33:45 pm »
Definitely ask a game keeper, they will know all the answers to your questions.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2016, 02:02:18 pm »
In answer to your questions:

A hen will incubate them nicely. Only problem is the chicks don't understand hen language so won't come when she calls. Therefore you need to make your run chick proof (ie very fine wire, or keep them in a shed).
If they can get out, because they don't respond to her calling,  they will wonder off and die of starvation, cold or predation.
  Feed them on pheasant or turkey chick crumbs which contain an anti blackhead medication and are higher in protein than poultry feed.
  They don't carry things leathal to your chickens - more the other way round. So if possible rear them in an area that hasn't had poultry on, and worm the mother hen before putting her on the eggs.

Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2016, 05:05:18 pm »
In answer to your questions:

A hen will incubate them nicely. Only problem is the chicks don't understand hen language so won't come when she calls. Therefore you need to make your run chick proof (ie very fine wire, or keep them in a shed).
If they can get out, because they don't respond to her calling,  they will wonder off and die of starvation, cold or predation.
  Feed them on pheasant or turkey chick crumbs which contain an anti blackhead medication and are higher in protein than poultry feed.
  They don't carry things leathal to your chickens - more the other way round. So if possible rear them in an area that hasn't had poultry on, and worm the mother hen before putting her on the eggs.

Thanks for that it has certainly given me a lot to think about. Does it take the same amount of time for the eggs to hatch as it does a chicken? Also how long should I leave them on the crumbs for and what food should they be fed after the turkey crumbs?
Thanks
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2016, 10:06:15 pm »
From memory I think they take a couple of days longer than hen eggs to hatch.
After turkey/game bird crumbs you move onto turkey/game bird grower pellets. You can keep them on crumbs as long as you like, but it will say on the bag. The grower pellets are cheaper as they are lower in protein.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

adamhfc

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2016, 10:59:40 pm »
Take 23 to 24 days to hatch only ever hastched them in an incubator tho

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2016, 01:03:21 pm »
OK thanks guys for the help I really appreciate it. I'll probably be hatching them in mid summer, would that be OK for them? It will be a very interesting project, can't wait :excited:

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2016, 03:43:01 pm »
We found an abandoned nest (could see it from the house so knew she didn't come back), tried to hatch them, only got a male and female but always totally scatty. Female escaped and mink managed to get in the run and killed poor male, I'd just been going to turn him lose as well :-(.
It would be nice to think the female or her descendants are the ones who come asking for food now.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS