Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Feed for pregnant does  (Read 1641 times)

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
Feed for pregnant does
« on: January 25, 2016, 03:07:05 pm »
Hi. I'd appreciate a bit of reassurance that I've got it about right- or some sound advice to make changes!

I have 3 pregnant angora does. All due in 3 to 5 weeks time.  I am currently giving them 500g D&H goat mix (split am and pm) and ad lib hay daily and caprivite powder twice a week.

I'm not bothered about cost as only a few mouths to feed just getting it right. Should I add in some sugar beet carrots or change quantities?

I'm finding the condition scoring very tricky, I have had 2 wethers for 5 years one always about 4 the other struggles to get much above 2. The girls in comparison look about 3

I appreciate there is lots on here about feeding but it's that time of year again and I couldn't find anything specific to angoras which are a bit smaller.  The bumps look huge already!

Talana

• Joined Mar 2014
Re: Feed for pregnant does
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2016, 09:23:55 pm »
What your doing sounds fine to me. In my goat books it say's: in last 6 weeks of pregnancy increasing to 500g a day split in 2 feeds for Angoras & ad lib hay. We give our sheep 0.6 kg a day for twins, grazing /hay and molasses. I am giving my in kid dairy goats a bit more concentrates and ad lib hay minerals and molasses and giving them chopped carrots and soaked sugar beet alternatively for variety.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2016, 12:23:54 am »
Mine have Caprivite every day as that is what the instructions say. Do yours also have a mineral lick? If not, it might be worth upping the minerals.

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2016, 10:16:43 am »
Cheers that is very good to hear thank you both. I've got a mineral lick I can give them and some sugar beet for variety I am off to the feed shop so will get some carrots. Their previous owners are coming over Sunday so no doubt will have put me right if I was way off but I didn't want to wait before checking anyway it makes me look more competent!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS