Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sad day  (Read 5832 times)

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
Sad day
« on: January 25, 2016, 07:50:31 am »
 :'(

One of my two goats had to be put to sleep yesterday because of rhododendran poisoning. I do have a rhododendran but it's small (and due to be dug up shortly) so I had covered it with a tarp which was tied at the bottom so that they wouldn't be able to  touch any leaves. I can only guess that there must have been a couple of leaves amongst the grass underneath it that I didn't see. I know there wasn't much because the bush is still covered and my other goat is totally fine and they are never more than 6 feet apart. I'm gutted.

Not sure what to do now with my other goat, he's going to be so Lonely without his half brother.  :'(

Talana

• Joined Mar 2014
Re: Sad day
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2016, 08:01:51 am »
Sorry to hear that, devastating for you.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2016, 08:22:41 am »
Sorry to hear this. We had a very poorly wether sheep a few years ago with the same thing. THere had been a rhododendron in a pot in their field for months and they had never looked at it (I had forgotten it was there). Thankfully he pulled through but it wasn't a nice time.

Hope his bro is OK  :hug:

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2016, 09:14:35 am »
Awwww, that's very sad but it just goes to show just how little it takes to poison them. That's a lesson for all of us
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2016, 11:20:51 am »
 :'(

Oh no!
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

Caroline1

• Joined Nov 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2016, 03:08:00 pm »
So sorry for your loss,  :gloomy:
________
Caroline

Melmarsh

• Joined May 2014
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2016, 03:24:17 pm »
Very sorry to hear your news, where I used to live, near the new forest, we had a lot of rhododendron always trimmed well back from the stock fencing, you can guess what I'm going to say next !! One large Goat with a long reach picked the tips off about 3_5 leaves, the first I knew about it was a sad looking Goat, within an hour or less of having done this , projectile vomiting, a sure sign,. luckily she was a tough old thing and pulled through but a youngster I had ate privet with fatal results, horrendous  waiting for her to be put down . Hope you can find a companion for your other Goat soon  :hug: :hug: :gloomy:

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2016, 04:31:01 pm »
Thank you for your replies. Other goat is quiet, but eating well and very happy when I took him out for his walk earlier which is a great relief as I've read that goats can be very susceptible to pine away - and it's not like they're even a heard and there's others there too - they've only ever known each other.

I have had a very kind offer of another wether in Aberdeenshire, but just want to think a bit more on this before rushing into anything. Maybe I should put an add in the market place to see if there's anyone closer?

Talana

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2016, 09:53:25 pm »
Come across this advert on facebook if suitable:
Celia Burnett-Smith
21 January at 12:47
3 females @£110 each if sold together
£125 if sold separately.
Mother : British Alpine
Twin daughters : BA/Saanen
In Angus, Scotland : DD114RW
Email : boergoat@terraweena.com

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2016, 12:21:52 am »
So sorry to hear about your goat. I very nearly lost one after she had one small bite of a laurel. It's lethal stuff. This particular goat was my first and she was on her own for a couple of years, perfectly happily until she had her daughter who I still have. In an ideal world, they need company but they can cope alone.

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2016, 07:43:08 am »
Thank you Talana,
Please may I ask how can I find goat adverts on Facebook? I'm pretty new to it and can find friends, but people are always telling me about things they've bought on there and I'm always a bit confused!  :dunce:

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2016, 08:45:22 am »
Thank you Talana,
Please may I ask how can I find goat adverts on Facebook? I'm pretty new to it and can find friends, but people are always telling me about things they've bought on there and I'm always a bit confused!  :dunce:

There are facebook groups like "goaty friends" and also a "Pedigree goats for sale and wanted" God UK wide cover.

Talana

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2016, 02:30:35 pm »
Here are the links to join groups
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Pedigree.Goats/    (pedigree goats for sale uk)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/goat.sales.uk/      ( goats for sale uk)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/goatyfriends/        (goaty friends)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/788865041179598/  (livestock for sale scotland)

http://ukgoats.weebly.com/   (uk goats for sale website)

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
  • Home is were my animals are.
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2016, 02:49:11 pm »
Do you have any sheep ? I keep my last goat in with 2 pet wethers. She loves one of them (Dillon) to bits  :sheep:

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2016, 03:03:01 pm »
Thank you for all these links!
No sheep, my neighbour does, he's met the sheep but ignored them.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS