Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sow in pig, or not?  (Read 2564 times)

GribinIsaf

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Montgomeryshire
    • Gribin Isaf
Sow in pig, or not?
« on: January 24, 2016, 08:18:16 pm »
Our first time round with breeding pigs here.  We have a sow who was put to the boar nearly three weeks ago.  They spent time together on two consecutive days and we witnessed several apparently successful matings.

Question is - should we keep an eye on her as 21 days come round and if the slightest sign she might be in season give him another opportunity or if the job was done is that that? Observing her over the last few months she has only had small external signs of being in season.  This sow has had a couple of successful litters by the same boar (with previous owner) so they are both experienced.

Thanks

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
Re: Sow in pig, or not?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2016, 01:39:11 am »
if you have him on site then put him to her. or run them together for a few months if you have the space.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2016, 07:52:49 am »
If mating occurred then she should be pregnant ... but you could put boar in to be sure I guess
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2016, 07:53:38 am »
Leave them together and yes, watch her. If she has had litters before probably all will be well but better to be safe. Never count your piglets so to speak....

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2016, 12:11:56 pm »
If we don't have any other work for him we leave the boar in with the sow until she's about three weeks off her earliest farrowing date.  They both like the company.  We put down feed in separate piles so they don't squabble.

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2016, 02:34:18 pm »
All our sows live together with our boar from mating until just before farrowing. They get along fine without too much squabbling as he's in charge so none of the sows are trying to be top pig.

GribinIsaf

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Montgomeryshire
    • Gribin Isaf
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2016, 06:46:39 pm »
Thanks for all your thoughts and info.  Looks like she is definitely not coming into season this week so job done.  I would like her and the boar to be able to enjoy a bit of closer company for these few months - they are normally in neighbouring enclosures and have to make do with communicating through the wire fence. They each have a decent sized ark but not sure how readily they would take to sharing it, he in particular has a carefully made straw bed that matches his body shape perfectly.

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2016, 02:52:56 pm »
Ow bless him!

is there a way that they can both move between both enclosures and choose whose house they both should move into? As I dont keep my own boar then the visiting boar has to move into my sows accommodation for 6 weeks or so. Didnt seem to be a problem even though the sow likes to make a piggie shaped nest too.

GribinIsaf

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Montgomeryshire
    • Gribin Isaf
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2016, 05:22:48 pm »
Yes Buffy, I was thinking of doing that - I can link up their enclosures and see what happens!

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2016, 05:32:34 pm »
It would give you the opportunity to rest a paddock to.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS