Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Price for meat  (Read 1857 times)

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
Price for meat
« on: January 24, 2016, 08:01:27 pm »
We have an average sized barren nanny whom I'm planning to take to the abattoir soon. She's well fleshed but not overly fat.
The lady I spoke to at the abattoir said they'd buy it off us if I bought it in for killing, I was so busy checking dates , times etc I never asked how much...
So was wondering if anyone on here had sold to the butcher and what sort of money it was so I have an idea if they are offering a fair price

Thanks

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Re: Price for meat
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2016, 12:00:54 am »
A lot will depend on her age. The first one I sent was 20 months old and was only suitable for slow cooking so wouldn't have been worth the same as an 8 month old.

Talana

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2016, 08:04:36 am »
I once saw a couple sold through the mart for meat only made £20 -£30

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2016, 11:22:07 am »
A lot will be to do with where you are and if it's a goaty area! 

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2016, 02:43:29 pm »
What breed? AN's are worth more, as better carcass, GG's too small....

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2016, 03:12:06 pm »
She's slightly smaller than my toggenburg in size.... She has alpine markings but not sure on exact breed,a bit scatty and not easy to get attached to! If I get a min I'll pop her in sheep scales

Melmarsh

• Joined May 2014
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2016, 03:32:10 pm »
In theory you should get a reasonable price, despite age, if they sell to an ethnic client as it could be made into curry Goat if nothing else, it just depends on who they supply. Goat meat is rarely over fat as most of the fat is held internally unlike sheep who will put it on their backs. Should be sold at a premium compared to mutton, hence the recent news about Goat meat being sold that has turned out to be sheep to the unknowing !! Give them a ring and ask them ,how much, easiest thing to do.
The butcher I use for my lambs told me he can always sell Goat if I ever got some again. :wave:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS