Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Fertility of 6 year old goats, never before pregnant  (Read 1662 times)

friend of goats

• Joined Jan 2016
Fertility of 6 year old goats, never before pregnant
« on: January 23, 2016, 02:41:49 pm »
Hi,

We have been offered two female Anglo nubian goats who have never before been pregnant.  They are 6 or 7 years old.  Does anyone know if goats lose their fertility if they have never before been pregnant?  Are we likely to have problems getting kids from these two goats?

I would appreciate any advice.  We are really excited about the possibility of having two more goats on the smallholding, but realistically we need to know we'll get something back from them.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Fertility of 6 year old goats, never before pregnant
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2016, 05:50:07 pm »
In theory no problems with fertility (goats don't have a menopause), but they are unlikely to be able to give birth easily - their pelvis is probably quite stiff by now. I would also hazard a guess that they are quite fat, so would run into problems like pregnancy toxaemia etc. They would probably make a reasonable meat carcass, if you are able to trim off the fat...

I would stay away, and get some youngstock to put into kid this autumn if you want to breed goats.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
Re: Fertility of 6 year old goats, never before pregnant
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2016, 06:20:08 pm »
None I have met that have not had kids before the age of 5 have ever come into season in later years.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS