Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Book for grandaughter  (Read 2119 times)

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
Book for grandaughter
« on: January 21, 2016, 10:07:42 am »
Having taught my granddaughter to knit last year she has come on in leaps and bounds and is also becoming adept with a sewing machine. Can anyone recommend a book on these crafts, not for children as such, but for beginners.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
Re: Book for grandaughter
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2016, 06:02:23 pm »
If you google under 'Tilda' there are loads of craft sewing books that come up with some really wonderful designs, hope that helps.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2016, 07:20:03 pm »
Thank you, will do that!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2016, 12:13:25 am »
Dorling Kindersley publish 'the Pocket Encyclopedia of Needle Craft' by Judy Britain, which covers knitting, sewing, crochet, quilting, embroidery and needlepoint. £9.99.  It's definitely not a child's book, but depending on your granddaughters age it could be inspirational and helpful too.
Well done for teaching her to knit.  I haven't been able to pin my 7 yo granddaughter down in one place long enough to teach her to knit, spin or sew.  I'm hoping she'll be ready one day whist I'm still around.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2016, 09:37:57 am »
Thank you FW, that looks an interesting book. Phoebe is 10 (going on 38) which is why a child's guide wouldn't suit her!
I hope  your wee girl will be knitting soon!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2016, 10:41:47 pm »
My grandson asked me to teach him to knit when he was about ten. There was a craft club at school he wanted to join. His father (stupid man) told him that he wasn't allowed to join - his son was only allowed to join clubs for things like footie or rugby.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2016, 12:51:58 am »
My grandson asked me to teach him to knit when he was about ten. There was a craft club at school he wanted to join. His father (stupid man) told him that he wasn't allowed to join - his son was only allowed to join clubs for things like footie or rugby.

What a shame for your grandson - what about Kaffe Fasset and lots of other male knitters/designers?  They're not all gay, although many men seem to think so.    Miners, the ultimate tough guys, used to knit their socks as they walked to work, and I don't think anyone thought that strange.  Soldiers in the Napoleonic wars, sailors  etc knitted  and spun and sewed.  My brother taught me to knit and he's pretty masculine.  It's such a shame, this prejudice about what boys can and can't do, and what's suitable for girls.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2016, 11:03:01 pm »
Just what I thought but my SIL is very obstinate. He also doesn't understand that men should help in the house especially if their wives are working full time AND virtually bringing up the children on her own.

My daughter taught her son to knit and I had a go at teaching him to spin - not very successfully and he treadled at top speed. He ended up with some black dreadlocks, pretty cool since he has afro hair.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS